Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail and Evolution crash when sending or forwarding email(Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail and Evolution crash when sending or forwarding email(Solved)

Just installed Kubuntu 8.10. I love it!! If I can fix this one problem I think I've found my M$ Winblows replacement. Here's my problem:

No matter which email program I use(Kmail or Evolution) when I try to create or forward a new mail message they both crash to the desktop. I am receiving and reading email with no problem. I've searched around but can't seem to find anyone with this same problem. I'm new to kubuntu hopefully some of you Linux masters can help me out.

Note: Using system monitor when sending email both Kmail and Evolution show Disk Sleep under CPU usage. Also running kmail from terminal window shows no error when sending. Running Evolution in a terminal window shows "Bus Error" when sending and crashing. Hope this gives a hint.

Thanks, Jason

Re: Kmail and Evolution crash when sending or forwarding email

Welcome.

"Just installed Kubuntu 8.10." How recently? Have you received update/upgrade notices via Adept Notifier, and if yes, have you pulled in/installed the update/upgrades?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Did a clean install of 8.10 last night. All the updates are compete as far as I can tell.

Comment

Was it a totally complete install, or did you have a /home folder that you kept intact?

Comment

Totally clean wiped both partitions out that had previously had Ubuntu installed.

Comment

Are you using Kmail specifically, or running Kontact (Kmail is 'part' of Kontact)?

Comment

Just Kmail alone and Evolution alone.

Comment

Just a guess!

Downloading mail is done via either the POP3 or IMAP protocol. When you initialize Kmail, it sets up whichever one you choose. Apparently, since you're receiving mail, you chose the right one. But, uploading mail uses the SMTP protocol, which requires a separate setup. I'd check to see if that is set up properly.

Comment

Ok another piece of the puzzle. When I try to edit or add another identity in Kmail it crashes the same way.

Comment

I get this in console when I try and send a message.

kmail(5850) KMail::TemplateParser::findTemplate: Identity found: 1232
                    kmail(5850) KMail::TemplateParser:rocessWithTemplate: Command: REM=
                    kmail(5850) KMail::TemplateParser:rocessWithTemplate: Command: -
                    kmail(5850) KMail::TemplateParser:rocessWithTemplate: Command: BLAN
                    kmail(5850) Sonnet::Loader::loadPlugin: Successfully loaded plugin: "ll.desktop"

Comment

If your outgoing SMTP settings are correct, then you might look at the templates used by Kmail.

Kontact > Settings > Configure Kmail > Composer > Standard Templates

My 'default' settings there are as follows:

New Message
                      %REM="Default new message template"%-
                      %BLANK

Reply to Sender
                      %REM="Default reply template"%-
                      On %ODATEEN %OTIMELONGEN you wrote:
                      %QUOTE
                      %CURSOR

Reply to All / Reply to List
                      %REM="Default reply all template"%-
                      On %ODATEEN %OTIMELONGEN %OFROMNAME wrote:
                      %QUOTE
                      %CURSOR

Comment

Mine is identical to yours.

Comment

I would suggest that I should reinstall Kmail but it does the same thing in Evolution. They must be linked some how.

Comment

Did you ever have either of them working correctly? Or, has the problem been present 'since intallation?' Evolution isn't part of the standard installation, so you installed it afterwards. I would be inclined, if I were in your position, to un-install evolution as opposed to kontact/kmail. I would also use synaptic to do so, telling it to do a complete/full removal. Then I'd reboot, and try kontact/kmail and see if the behavior you are describing persists or is no longer present. If the latter - kmail no longer crashes as described - then it would appear that there is a conflict with/between evolution and kontact/kmail.

Comment

I think Kmail wasn't working and that's why I installed Evolution. Not sure though. I'm uninstalling Evo right now and will post results. Thanks for the help. Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X