X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Restore last session applications at startup

Hi,
    I would like to know if in Kubuntu is possible to restore the applications from last session when I log in, as opensuse does.
    For example, if I am with Firefox and with a document in Openoffice write, restore them in next session after restart the computer.
    Is that possible?
    Thanks

Re: Restore last session applications at startup

I think I read somewhere that while it is possible in KDE4 to restore a saved session, there is no option to actually save one...they also stated that some distros (I think they mentioned OpenSUSE11) have added this option. Kubuntu (afik) does not have this option yet. This option is supposed to be available when KDE 4.2 comes out in January.

mm0

P.S. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong on this!
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

The option has always been there - system settings - advanced - session manager
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        The option has always been there - system settings - advanced - session manager
        I glanced in there last night...is there a 'save session' there? I thought I only saw the option to restore the session...

Maybe I was in the wrong place.
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

KDE 3.5

> FAQ: How to start programs when KDE starts or stops

K > System Settings >| Advanced - tab |> Session Manager

There are three options On Login:
          Restore previous session
          Will save all applications running on exit and restore them when they next start up.

Restore manually saved session
          Allows the session to be saved at any time via "Save Session" in the K-Menu. This means the currently started application will reappear when they next start up.

Start with an empty session
          Do not save anything. Will come up with an empty desktop on next start.
          Note
          "Restore manually saved session" enables a "Save Session" button in the K-menu near "Switch User", "Lock Screen" and "Log Out".

KDE 4

> Topic: Saved Session Support

>> Bug 155341: Session cannot be saved Session cannot be saved
          If I select the Restore Manually Saved session, the "Save Session" option does
          not appear in the main menu or the desktop context menu. The dbus option is
          there in ksmserver (org.kde.KSMServerInterface saveCurrentSession), only the
          GUI is missing.
          I consider a bug, as there is a GUI to enable the manually saved session, but
          you cannot do it, unless you know the correct command line command.
          >>> Is KDE 4.1 for you ?
          Session management

Session management is not fully implemented yet, at least not as you're used to from KDE 3.5. Some of these features might get implemented in a 4.1.x release.

Even though the System Settings module offers you an option to start your day with a Manually Saved Session, there's no option yet in the menu to actually save one. The functionality is available via D-Bus though and some distributions already include patches to fix this. See bug 155341 for details.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Cheers, Rog. I think it works with the old style menu option in the KDE4.1 start menu - there is a save option (I don't think it's available in the Suse style abomination). Lancelot also falls short.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Restore last session applications at startup

Nope it works with Lancelot with 9.04 on mine you just have to logout and back in and then the save session will be in the menu.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Restore last session applications at startup

This works for me now - start with an empty session and have your programmes autostart.

Comment

Working...
                X