This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Support and Desktop Support Analyst, PC or MAC, Need Some Advice

My Sister: "Currently i'm an accountant, but i wanna change a career and i heard about "desktop support". If anyone here worked as a desktop support please advise how to get in this filed. Do i need any certification. What is more in Demand, Mac Support or PC support. How is the market for this position is right now?"
    Any advice is greatly appreciated
    slimming clawfoot tub

Re: Desktop Support and Desktop Support Analyst, PC or MAC, Need Some Advice

I would say any certification is always a plus. As to the desktop support... are you talking about helping home users?
    I would say look into something in IT.
    The company I work for employs around 600 people and we have what is called a "Help Desk".
    The job basically consists of helping employee's when they have problems with their PC's. They call our Help Desk, if he can't help them solve the issue, then he sends a work order for myself or my co-worker to go and take a look at the problem.

Not sure if any of that helps you but...
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

She's an accountant? Maybe she should look into becoming a "Virtual Assistant". I f she has a strong background in the major accounting programs she could do this easily. Kind of combines the two career fields. Google "Virtual Assistant".

Comment

"Desktop Support" is way too generic. Desktop Support of what? No one can support everything that runs on PCs.

Windows PCs are the most common, but I don't know of very many folks making a living supporting MS Office apps. I know some folks making a good living supporting installed Windows-based networks -- they get a Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA) certification. Google it and you'll find a zillion sources for the training.

For desktop apps, I think you'd have to be proficient in a more advanced app such as a high-end accounting app. Microsoft Dynamics SL would be an example -- I know some folks who make their living installing and supporting that one.

Comment

Working...
        X