X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from gnome to kde

Hey all,
    So I have been using Ubuntu for about a 1/2 year. What I am looking at now though is switching from Ubuntu to Kubuntu. i am aware that I can dual boot or just download kde in Ubuntu. However I am a little OCD about this and just want to fresh install Kubuntu. However I have a ton of music and pictures that i cannot loose. I did find a walkthrough once about keeping my home folder when switching between the 2 distros, but lost it and can't seem to find it again. I really dont need the whole home folder (actually don't want to keep it all, I really just want the music and pictures) But how do I keep those files when switching?

Re: switching from gnome to kde

i am aware that I can dual boot or just download kde in Ubuntu. However I am a little OCD about this and just want to fresh install Kubuntu.
    I have separate partitions for the media (audio, video, what ever). You could use a partition manager (GParted ?) to make new partitions and move your data there.

Gnome Partition Editor
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    GParted Live is a small bootable GNU/Linux distribution.
    It enables you to use all the features of the latest versions of GParted.

GParted Live can be installed on CD, USB, PXE server, and Hard Disk.

You could start with the Live CD and clean your existing home partition. After cleaning - start your installation process but check that your are reusing your home and your are not formating it.

Probably the easiest and the safest option is to install kubuntu-desktop (yes, i know, you said "fresh install Kubuntu") and then remove ubuntu-desktop (and Ubuntu applications). Then you have fresh Kubuntu installation.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X