This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 momentary video garbage upon drawing new objects

Crossposting this since I'm hopelessly confused.

On every machine I install KDE4 I get this bug, and I'm not confused why I'm not seeing other people complaining about it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ta/+bug/254468

Originally posted by me
    Whenever a new object is drawn, such as the application menu or any application whatsoever, the space in which it will be drawn is first allocated with video garbage. After a brief delay - perhaps 200ms - the garbage is properly replaced with the real object contents. It looks as if it's displaying "old" video memory, if that makes sense. It is hard/impossible to get a proper screenshot depicting this.
    Is everyone else simply not experiencing this, or is there some really easy workaround I seem to have missed?
    KDE, I heart thee.

Re: KDE4 momentary video garbage upon drawing new objects

Yep, I see that.

What graphics chip do you have? Nvidia is known to have some issues with kdm-kde4 -- I assumed what I have seen is related to those issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Yep, I see that...
      Same here. nVIDIA 7600GT. I also get tremendous corruption of widgets whenever a non-Qt application (other than Firefox) displays a blinking caret. Some of these issues are presumably fixed in the 177.xx beta drivers.

See:
      http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

People don't complain in part because we're just plain sick of complaining (at least I am) as this has been a problem with nvidia since the early 4.0 releases...

Comment

My system is fast enough that it's not really a problem for me, just a "phenomenon". But I know that the Nvidia driver is not working that well with KDE 4. I have the 177.70 driver installed.

Comment

its not an nvidia problem, as I see this sometimes with my Ati 7500 mobility graphics on my older laptop using the open source driver. I usually only see it once or twice after logging in and I don't see it with kwin effects disabled.I did notice that sometimes upon logging in that I get a sort of 'flash' image of my desktop as it was before logging out (previously opened windows, etc) just before login is complete but all of these issues are so quick and minor to me that I haven't looked into them

Comment

I'm getting this on this machine with its Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 card (proprietary nvidia driver), as well as on two machines running the open source intel driver. Especially on slower machines it's ugly as sin.

Feel free to confirm the launchpad bug report to spread awareness. :>
            KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

This is also occuring with builtin Intel graphics.
              An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Ditto here with intel and sis graphics on multiple machines running the XRender option.

It is a tad annoying I guess, but it doesn't really interfere with anything I do. It just looks odd for a moment. Like a smeared Monet:-)

Comment

I discovered some time after my post above that this phenomenon is a dump of residual data from the cache of the graphics card. It happens that my Kubuntu desktop is the default blue theme, while my sidux desktop is a brick red theme. Once when I shut down sidux and re-booted into Kubuntu, the initial flash of junk graphics was clearly the brick red remains of the last screen in sidux. So that's where the garbage is coming from.

Comment

It still occurs in Intrepid for me, with the 4.1.3 from backports.

Please consider confirming (and voting) for the bug over at http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170462 alongside earlier provided launchpad link.
                    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

I also experienced this problem with 4.1.3. Video chip is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M with proprietary fglrx driver.

Anyone still experiencing the problem with 4.2 beta 1?

Comment

Same problem with Nvidia 8400M GS

Edit: Looks like the problem stopped when I switched the rendering from OpenGL to X-render by following instructions here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099721.0

Edit Edit: Okay, the garbage doesn't happen as much now but I just caught a very brief glimpse of it again. Again, it's not very noticeable after switching to X-render

Comment

Working...
                        X