This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming more and more impressed - KDE 4.1

I have to say, that I'm becoming more and more impressed with KDE 4.1 (currently running KDE 4.1.00). It is a lot more stable than 4.0 was. And it appears to be getting better. I've been booting regularly into HH KDE 4.1 as apposed to HH KDE 3.5.9 for a few days now. While I had to dump compiz on KDE 4.1 - the two don't play well together - yet? - I don't miss it here.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Becoming more and more impressed - KDE 4.1

It is undoubtedly true, as the KDE guys say, that the computer "desktop" motif as originally conceived 20+ years ago, and oriented strictly to office work, is a bit dated -- audio/video editing and TV watching were never done on a desktop. KDE4 is a bit of a shock if you're used to saving files all over your screen and then working with them in that way, but I'm curious to see how productive I can get with KDE 4.1. Who knows -- it could be better, in the end.

Comment

I've been using KDE4 now KDE4.1 since the release of HH. My laptop is the only one I haven't switched yet, but When I'm on the Desktop it has all been KDE4. In the beginning it was OK but now it's great! I love it. Far better than anything I've ever used..uhhmmmmm . I've even grown to like the menu and the new Desktop Concept. Just have to be "open" to new.

Comment

I agree mostly.
        I've never actually cluttered my desktop with icons though, so that was not hard to leave behind.
        One idea with KDE4 I haven't grasped is the "desktop as a place for applets". It's obscured by the windows anyway, and mostly I fullscreen everything.
        One thing I use the desktop for though is that I have some different directory-views on the desktop, to group together projects or tasks, so I can start often-used projects quickly. That's kinda' nifty!

Other than that, for me at the moment KDE4 is just the follower to KDE3. I use it like I've always used the computer, but many things are easier and more logical. The new K-menu for example is nice. The good things seems to be under the hood, the rebuilt architecture; and the Nepomuk stuff looks promising. So the future looks bright.
        Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) user

Comment

I find kde 4.1 very good. Unfortunately, cannot yet switch over as I have nVidia card and it is awfully slow with the effect off.

Comment

Have you looked at installing the appropriate driver using the Envy script?

HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X