Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple kate sessions running after KDM login!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple kate sessions running after KDM login!

HH running KDE 4.1.00

Not sure which upgraded package(s) are causing this, but beginning today, when I login, I have (now) six kate sessions running and appearing on the desktop (earlier, I had four). In this posted reply I comment on what it takes to resolve the problem, and I did just that about an hour ago. Now, I'm getting the same behavior, but the number of kate sessions has increased to six!!

Does anyone know why this is happening, and what can be done to stop it, short of the destructive method in my linked post above?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Multiple kate sessions running after KDM login!

Anyone else experiencing this behavior, I've filed Bug 254347 on launchpad. If you are having this problem, please add your comments/observations to the bug report.

Comment

As stated earlier, I had this problem with 4.1.60 hardy kde-nightly (Neon) with Gwenview (4+ instances) and Konsole apps launching for no reason on login... but I checked back this evening and the problem is no longer there... since I don't have the problem in 4.1.00 I won't comment in your bug, but FYI you're not crazy (sometimes it seems like it when weird stuff like this happens!).

Have you looked at your Recent Used Applications tab on the K Menu? Maybe that is where the difference between your experience and mine is... I don't use Kate, but do use Gwenview quite a bit (baby pictures!)...

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
        Have you looked at your Recent Used Applications tab on the K Menu? Maybe that is where the difference between your experience and mine is... I don't use Kate, but do use Gwenview quite a bit (baby pictures!)...
        Just looked. Nothing there other than what I expect. There are no kate documents.

Comment

Hmmm, I had that as well.
          And I thought I had it beat I disabled boot kde with previous session and reenabled it again after another login.

But when I opened kate once and rebooted this morning kate popped up again. It seams to multiply with every log in.

I guess I'll join you on the launchpad report snowhog
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It appears to be a problem with kate it self. This posted on the bug by rhino:
            Hi all
            This problem cuz when you close kate , kate process doesn't end.
            kill process of kate before you logout or shutdown ( end of session )
            or run kate in terminal and after close it press ( ctrl + c )
            This bug ==> kate bug
            Be happy
            I'm down to having only one instance of kate running at boot. I got that far by renaming the .kde4/share/config/krunnerrc file, as it appears to be corrupted. Take a look at your and see if it doesn't contain this:
            headerState=\x00\x00\x00�\x00\x00.....
            After I renamed it and rebooted, I only get one instance of kate.

Comment

I've noticed this problem too, but opening ksysguard, kill kate, and then logout and login again, then kate does not open. I noticed that when you close kate clicking on the close window button (X button), kate is still running, and perhaps this is the problem. If you close kate from File menu -> Quit, then kate will close fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                It appears to be a problem with kate it self. This posted on the bug by rhino:
                Hi all
                This problem cuz when you close kate , kate process doesn't end.
                kill process of kate before you logout or shutdown ( end of session )
                or run kate in terminal and after close it press ( ctrl + c )
                This bug ==> kate bug
                Be happy
                Doesn't explain my Gwenview experience... certainly they both didn't get the same bug at the same time...

Comment

So this morning (Sunday, August 3rd), when I booted into HH running KDE 4.1.00, no session of kate appeared. Hmmm. I mean, I'm happy, but what's changed? A mystery!

Comment

I dunno, it opens about 8 Kate sessions on my Intrepid system -- covers the screen -- kinda weird!

Comment

Try what rhino suggested. First, close all your open kate sessions. Then, open a console and just type kate. When kate launches, close it. Then in the console, press Ctrl+C to 'kill' the kate process.

Is you krunnerrc file 'corrupted' as I believe mine was?

Comment

Code:
                        dibl@ibex:~$ kate
                        kate(6279): createDoc
                        kate(6279) KateSessionManager::KateSessionManager: LOCAL SESSION DIR: "/home/don/.kde/share/apps/kate/sessions"
                        kate(6279) KateApp::initKate: Setting KATE_PID: ' 6279 '
                        kate(6279) KateViewDocumentProxyModel::updateBackgrounds: false
                        kate(6279) KateMainWindow::KateMainWindow: **************************************************************************** 0x1b2e6d0
                        kate(6279) KateApp::startupKate: KateApplication::init finished successful
                        kate(6279) KateViewDocumentProxyModel::updateBackgrounds: true
                        QObject: Do not delete object, 'file', during its event handler!
                        QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
                        QThreadStorage: Thread 0x1946440 exited after QThreadStorage 2147483643 destroyed
                        dibl@ibex:~$
                        Was not necessary to execute Ctrl-C - when I closed Kate with "File > Quit" the console was released back to the prompt.

EDIT: And upon reboot I got .... 8 Kates! :P

Comment

Take a look at your krunnerrc file. I'm going to bet that it contains the same corrupted line as mine does:
                          headerState=\x00\x00\x00�\x00\x00.....
                          If it does, rename the file and then remove the kate_* files from the ~/.kde4/share/apps/kate/sessions folder (if they exist) and shutdown/reboot.

Comment

Where is that krunnerrc file -- "find" can't find it! :P

EDIT: Oopps -- just looked up 6 posts and found it!

EDIT: Nope, here's the contents of my krunnerrc file:

Code:
                            [Interface]
                            Height 1024=49
                            Width 1280=400

Comment

I don't have the problem where kate opens all the time at boot/login, I do with kmix. However, I do have that problem where kate does not properly close and still stays open in obscure land. Can't open other kate sessions until I kill the last one.

Comment

Working...
                              X