Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] KDE 4.1 - Kate on K Menu, won't launch!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE 4.1 - Kate on K Menu, won't launch!

Okay, what gives? Kate is identified as an installed application on the K Menu (Applications > Utilities > Kate) but when selected, it doesn't launch! What's up with that? An application that is installed, but won't run??
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: KDE 4.1 - Kate on K Menu, won't launch!

kate is located in /usr/lib/kde4/bin, and if I navigate directly to this location and click on the file kate, it launches. But when accessed via K Menu, kate will not run!

Comment

I had the same problem, then i used kmenuedit to edit the entry ok kate in the menu.

The command should be just "kate" an then the problem is solved.
      Probably, the arguments to inicialize kate changed wit the last update.
      Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Thank you. I'll give that a go the next time I boot back into HH KDE 4.1 (in HH KDE 3.5.9 at the moment).

Comment

I had the same problem you seem to have and the menu editor was showing two different kate entries (one with a command of '/usr/lib/kde4/bin/kate --use %U' and the other a command of 'kate --use %U') even though the menu itself only showed one. For me the important factor seemed to be removing the '--use %U' from the command in the menu. Seems to be working fine now.

Comment

Okay, editing K Menu and removing the --use %U from the command line to run Kate, and Kate now launches correctly when accessed from the K Menu. Now, to address the need to edit files 'as root,' I added another Kate entry to K Menu > Applications > Utilities and under Advanced specified that it be run as a different user - root. This works when launched from K Menu, but the very first time I launched it, and after entering my password, I got a warning that /root/.kde4/share/apps/kate/sessions/Default Session.katesession already existed, and did I want to replace it? I opted to cancel and the warning closed. Wasn't paying attention, so I don't remember if Kate then launched. No matter. Tried it again, and Kate launched. Opened /boot/grub/menu.lst and made a single change and clicked on Save. It did! So, I now have the means to edit root owned files. Not as convenient as the right-click Actions option in KDE 3.5.9, but at least this works. Also tested opening my 'root' Kate by navigating to the root owned file in Konqueror and right-clicking on it and selecting Open With > Other ... and selecting my 'root' Kate. File opens for editing as root. Cool.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KDE 4.1 - Kate on K Menu, won't launch!

That's a great tip, Snowhog! Thanks.

I changed the name to "SU Kate" and saved it in the System menu, to separate it from the user Kate in the Utilities menu. Parked the user Kate on the panel, and now it works just fine!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KDE 4.1 - Kate on K Menu, won't launch!

What I'd really like to see, is kubicle's Root Actions Service Menu written to work with KDE 4.1.

Comment

Working...
                X