Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.1 and Compiz - Desktop and kicker disappears!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1 and Compiz - Desktop and kicker disappears!

Okay, anyone 'seen' this and have a fix for it?

Running HH with KDE 4.1 (upgraded KDE 4.0.5 last night) and then downloaded and install compiz. All works great for a few minutes, and then the desktop and the kicker panel (the whole thing) disappears and I'm left with a black screen. Konqueror, which was running, still works - I'm typing this from it now - and the cube still functions - I can activate it and rotate it. Alt+F2 works. But I have to Ctrl+Alt+BkSp to get to the login so I can either restart or shutdown.

What's going on?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: KDE 4.1 and Compiz - Desktop and kicker disappears!

I haven't had that issue, but my screen savers are broken again. Worked great under 4.1 RC1. I agree, what gives??

Comment

What are your Window Behavior settings (in KDE) configured vs the settings in Compiz?

Comment

For the time being, I've decided not to run compiz with KDE 4.1. So, I've removed compiz (unistalled) and am back to a pure KDE 4.1 desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          What are your Window Behavior settings (in KDE) configured vs the settings in Compiz?
          I am using KDE's Desktop Effects. Works rather well. No Cube , but most effects I used under Compiz are there.

Comment

I had enabled Desktop Effects before installing Compiz. Thought that it might be conflicting/interfering with compiz, and causing the described problem, so unchecked it. It made no difference, even with a system restart - still lost my desktop and panel. Hmm.

Anyways, as said, I've un-installed compiz for the time being and have re-enabled desktop effects.

Comment

I would think that you have to choose between one and the other. A few people I know tried this and they said that it's incredibly slow. Did you get that problem too?

Comment

Slow? No. All worked great until my desktop and panel decided to vanish!

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem. All worked 100% perfectly under KDE 4.0. As soon as I upgraded to 4.1 everything seems to be different. If I have aMSN or am viewing pictures and I rotate my cubed desktop a couple times everything goes black and I loose my panel and everything. I have to CtL Alt Backspace to get everything back and shut down Compiz. Anyone else having the same problem? I'm thinking of going back to 4.0.

Comment

Working...
                  X