Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kde 4.01 to kde 4.1 upgrade - worked for me.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde 4.01 to kde 4.1 upgrade - worked for me.

I started with hardy, base of 3.5, when 4.01 came out I updated to that. Just updated to 4.1 (release, not RC's or beta's). These are the steps I took. I haven't played with it a whole lot. I am sure there are easier steps but this worked for me. If you find something easier please post.
    -Added the repository from the release page: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1
    -Did apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade, dist-upgrade went about 1/2 way and then gave depend. errors. Did apt-get -f install and it fixed them.
    -Did apt-get install kdeplasma-addons
    -Logged out and restarted X server
    -Noticed updates in adept updater, ran and applied all
    -Restarted X again, noticed a huge visual difference
    -Noticed new amarok and kontact not there.
    -Went into package manager and installed amarok-kde4 and kontact-kde4

Lovin kde4. Especially folder view widget. Notes I made:
    -KMAIL: Imported messages from kontact kde3 (/home/.../.kde/share/apps/kmail) gave me errors on a few things, but did import all of my messages.
    -KONTACT: Couldn't figure out kontact import, so just copied old folders from kabc to new. Works great
    -KORGANIZER: Tried to copy my calender std.ics from kd3 over but then kontact would crash on startup. Did merge of a 1.9MB std.ics file to kde4 one, took about 45 minutes. Kontact was still running very
    slow, After I did an archive of old entries it is now back to full speed.

Problems found so far:
    -Cant move appointments from one day to another on korganizer (neither drag/drop or edit works). It disppears, but no appear on new date, when go back to old date it is still there. (opened kde bug rpt)
    -Amarok crashes when you exit, but it is just alpha.
    -Tried to install widgets from web (kdelook weather and quickaccess), says installed but neither show up in list.

Great work!
    Some of these probably have already been addressed, and researching now. Will update as I find solutions.

Re: kde 4.01 to kde 4.1 upgrade - worked for me.

Originally posted by elgordo123
    -Tried to install widgets from web (kdelook weather and quickaccess), says installed but neither show up in list.
    Well, this is normal, because they need to be compiled. I think that kde-devs want to made changes to plasma core to have a way for installing "packages of plasmoids", like superkaramba, but it will be on kde 4.2

Comment

Also upgraded from KDE 4.0.x to 4.1 this evening. No problems (so far) other than I can't change the fonts in Konqueror (and have the changes 'stick').
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How would these instructions differ coming from 3.5? Is it possible to keep both 3.5 and 4.1?

Running 3.5 currently I followed the steps above. In my session list at my GDM screen I selected KDE4, but when entering it I got an alert:
        XSession: unable to launch "/usr/lib/kde4/bin/ startkde" X session --- "/usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde" not found; falling back to default session.

Comment

OK, this is embarrassing. I didn't realize that I had to install kubuntu-kde4-desktop. Problems solved.

And I have to say... KDE 4.1 is *MILES* beyond KDE4 when I first touched it. Holy cow.

Comment

hai im a newbie in linux but already the guide one by one and now made it to get kde 4.1 ond Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Originally posted by Fenix-TX
            Originally posted by elgordo123
            Well, this is normal, because they need to be compiled. I think that kde-devs want to made changes to plasma core to have a way for installing "packages of plasmoids", like superkaramba, but it will be on kde 4.2
            so for this still no solution and must wait the 4.2 right...?

thks and regard

Comment

My upgrade also went Ok after usinf -f install on some packages. Problems so far:
              My screensaver is not working. Error. Directory does not exist:"/usr/share/backgrounds"

Seems strange after upgrading to kontact kde4 you still need to upgrade kmail as well.So far seems ok but will know for sure after playing with it some more.

Comment

Ok I've fixed the screensaver error by renaming the backgrounds directory. As someone said here it's far better than kde4.01 and I've now also installed kde4.1 on the work laptop.

Comment

Working...
                X