Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.1 RC 1...is it really RC material?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1 RC 1...is it really RC material?

So I upgraded to KDE 4.1 RC 1 on Hardy, and....is this really a Release Candidate?. I mean, Dolphin still crashes A LOT, and with some files, like ISO images, it takes forever to load the pop up menu if you right click on them.....so what is going on?

Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1...is it really RC material?

Originally posted by reyfer
    So I upgraded to KDE 4.1 RC 1 on Hardy, and....is this really a Release Candidate?. I mean, Dolphin still crashes A LOT, and with some files, like ISO images, it takes forever to load the pop up menu if you right click on them.....so what is going on?
    One reason might be that at least on hardy, the ppa used for the KDE 4.1 RC upgrades doesn't (yet) have all the packages for RC (4.0.98), several packages are still Beta 2 (4.0.83). This may cause some instability, conflicts and bugs.

Comment

Plasma still crashes and you have to run the command rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* to get it back.
      Icons added from the menu onto the panel also disappear on reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
        I haven't seen this with the latest packages (although I saw it happen with Beta2).

Have you upgraded 4.0.98 plasma/plasmoid packages? (the plasmoid packages changed names in 4.0.98...kdeplasmoids* --> kdeplasma-addons*)

Comment

Just to add my 2cents.

I usually wait at least a day before going for a major upgrade, simply because sometimes the repos are not compete yet.

Plasma still crashes and you have to run the command rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* to get it back.
          Plasma only crashes on my system when I try to add certain plasmoids / widgets from the "install new widgets from the internet" When that crash happens some of the icons I dragged and dropped on the panel from the menu edititor dissapear.
          Then again this only happens in my Intrepid alpha 2 Installation. Haven't seen this in HH remix--->kde4 RC1 or my debian kde4 RC1 install.

I would imagine this is being dealt with.

Have you upgraded 4.0.98 plasma/plasmoid packages? (the plasmoid packages changed names in 4.0.98...kdeplasmoids* --> kdeplasma-addons*)
          You have to love the consistancy in open source:
          extragears-plasma(kde4.0)--->kdeplasoids(kde4.1beta)----->kdeplasma-addons(kde4RC1)

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Originally posted by tomp01
            I haven't seen this with the latest packages (although I saw it happen with Beta2).

I have updated KDE with these addons and it is more stable. One thing though, the system clock, sound icon and comms icon are now on the left hand side whereas previously they were on the right hand side.

Comment

Still cannot get the desktop icons to stay after a reboot.

Comment

I have asked this before but no answer, ever the optimist I'll try again. What has happened to the align vertically and align horizontally desktop icon buttons? They were there up to KDE 4.0.5 but disappeared in KDE 4.1 beta.

Comment

You upgraded from HH.
                  Was that HH remix or HH kde3.5.9 with kde4 installed "next" to kde3.5.9?

I have tried to replicate your disappearing desktop icons on HH remix upgraded to kde41 RC1 and could not.

As for aligning. I don't use icons on the desktop so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else?
                  I do know that kde4.1 treats desktop icons / widgets differently and there is a huge discussion about that raging from left to right.

I use folder view and it works fine for my needs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

There is a known bug with the KDE 4.1 Dolphin; Bug 164296

That bug will crash dolphin if you:
                    - When I right click on a corrupted MPEG file, dolphin crash.
                    - Dolphin crashes when mouse hovers AVI file
                    - Dolphin crashes when accessing NFS shares
                    - Dolphin crash on folder join
                    - Dolphin crashes while browsing directory full of movies
                    - Crash in dolphin while switching aplications with Alt+Tab with the new Cover Switch
                    - Dolphin crash when it is going to preview video files.
                    - dolphin crash on right click in media file avi
                    - Crash when creating previews for .avi files
                    - crash on multimedia file preview
                    - Dolphin crashes/freezes when mouse hovers over network share
                    - highlighting media crashes dolphin
                    - Dolphin crashes when selecting an incomplete Bittorent AVI download
                    - crashes while moving (large) files
                    - And many more...
                    at Jos: RC1 will be tagged tomorrow. I applied the patch as this is a showstopper for Dolphin (got already 20 bug reports because of this during the last 2 weeks)
                    It is marked:
                    Resolution: FIXED
                    Maybe it is fixed in the Final version as here divx/xvid are still crashing KDE 4.1 RC1
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Fredh
                      You upgraded from HH.
                      Was that HH remix or HH kde3.5.9 with kde4 installed "next" to kde3.5.9?

I have tried to replicate your disappearing desktop icons on HH remix upgraded to kde41 RC1 and could not.

As for aligning. I don't use icons on the desktop so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else?
                      I do know that kde4.1 treats desktop icons / widgets differently and there is a huge discussion about that raging from left to right.

I use folder view and it works fine for my needs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I started from the standard HH 8.0.4 install ISO and added everything from scratch. Widgets are not deleted after a reboot but folder icons which I drag and drop from Dolphin are removed.

Comment

Try this:
                        open up folder view widget and set to the folder you wish.
                        example /home

Then drag and drop the folders / files from there to your desktop.

That works for me although I don't really use it.
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've been using KDE3 with KDE4 installed along side. After KDE 4.0x upgraded to 4.1 yesterday, I decided to give it a try on both my home system (64bit) and work system (32bit). So keep in mind that the following is based on less than a day's experience on KDE 4.1.

The first thing I noticed is that not everything I needed was installed. I had to go back in with adept-manager and install a few things...noticeably was KDEPIM so I could get the KDE4 version of Kontact and all the other PIM applications that go with it.

Overall I like the look and feel, but there are still a number of features missing to get applications back up to KDE3 functionality. I definitely like the more configurable panels, but they still lack some functionality (like absolute placement of widgets, hiding, etc). Still, it's not enough to throw me back to KDE3.

Kontact seems prone to crash whenever changing its settings. But after getting my preferences set, and getting it working with my Kolab server again, it seems to do fine as long as there is no configuration changes.

However, the for my home system I had to switch back to KDE 3 because I have an NVidia graphics card and I had more problems than the problem KDE describes in the release announcement. After one of the desktop effects happened, my screen pixelated to the point that the screen became unreadable. Even after restarting X and going into KDE 3 the problem persisted. I had to reboot the computer to fix the problem. I'm going to check the techbase article referenced in the announcement to see if anything there will help until a new driver is released.

For my work PC, I have dual monitors using a Matrox MGA G550 AGP, which doesn't want to work with the desktop effects (probably just a well). The monitor configuration tool crashes whenever I try to open it. The desktop uses both monitors and while I can move and stretch windows between the two, I cannot get the desktop wallpaper to cover both, and the desktop config tool only affects whichever monitor it is on (wallpaper can be set for each monitor that way). The panels do not stretch across both monitors and I've had to create one for each monitor. I think there is still some dual-monitor work to do here.

The only tool I'm not liking so far is the new Amarok. It's a beta release, but to me it's radically different than before and still lacks much functionality of the previous 1.4x line.

So I am slowly finding and migrating from the older kde3 apps to kde4 apps on the work system. The annoying thing to watch out is that KDE3 and KDE4 applications are both present in the menus, so I have to be sure I'm using the right one.

So for everyday operation, my wife mostly uses the home PC, so it has to work...it went back to KDE3 (although I kept the kde4 kdm at startup). I'll try to keep the work PC at KDE4 and see how that goes.

And I haven't seen any of the problems mentioned in previous posts. My systems were all installed as GG, upgraded to HH, added 4.0, upgraded to 4.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                            Try this:
                            open up folder view widget and set to the folder you wish.
                            example /home

Then drag and drop the folders / files from there to your desktop.

That works for me although I don't really use it.
                            Yep, that works

Comment

Yep, that works
                              Many roads point to Rome
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X