This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CLOSED - NO SOLUTION] KDE4 installed, but then...nothing

I only just found this forum, so let me ask here what I've asked elsewhere, to no effect.

Having just upgraded to Hardy last night, I installed KDE4 today, but now have no idea how to activate it. My understanding is that I'm supposed to have options at logon, but there are none. I don't know what to do next.

Am open to any suggestions!

Re: KDE4 installed, but then...nothing

Kubuntu's login theme makes it a little unclear, but if you click the button at the lower right corner of the login area, you will see the menu

Comment

As claydoh said ...

On the login screen, you have a place for your name, a place for your password, and below that an icon that looks a bit like a tablet of paper. Click that, and then choose "Session" and then on the drop-down menu choose KDE4.

Comment

Well, I like the concept, which I'd actually already figured out. The trouble is that the menu only offer a KDE option, plus a couple of others having no apparent relation to KDE - something like "unused" and any locked session which might be in the system. That's it.

So...something appears to be wrong.

To install KDE4, I simply followed the straightforward instructions at http://www.kubuntu.org/node/32, for KDE 4.1 Beta 2. I didn't see anything appear on the console which suggested a problem.

So...what next, pray tell?

Comment

Well, those instructions worked for me and there is no apparent reason why they shouldn't work for you... To start off with you can ascertain whether kde4 is actually on your system.

To do so, update your database:
          Code:
          sudo updatedb
          This will take a little while, but once it has finished, do a
          Code:
          locate kde4
          If you get any output, it is there.

Well, is it there?
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Here's the "locate kde4" output I got -

tom@tomcloyd-desktop:/$ locate kde4
            /etc/kde4rc
            /home/tom/.kde/share/apps/kthememanager/themes/original/wallpapers/konqueror/kde4ever.png
            /usr/bin/desktop-effects-kde4
            /usr/lib/kde4
            /usr/lib/kde4/etc
            /usr/lib/kde4/share
            /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4
            /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdeglobals
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/brainstorm.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/lpbug.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/lppeople.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/lpproduct.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/lpsource.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/uhelp.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/uhelps.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/upackage.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/uwiki.desktop
            /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/uwikis.desktop
            /usr/lib/tasksel/info/kubuntu-kde4-desktop.preinst
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-KThesaurus.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kaider.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-karbon.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kchart.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kexi.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kformula.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kivio.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kplato.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kplatowork.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kpresenter.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kspread.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4-kword.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4.desktop
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kaide r.png
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kchar t.png
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kform ula.png
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kplat o.png
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kpres enter.png
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kspre ad.png
            /usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_kde4_share_icons_hicolor_32x32_apps_kword .png
            /usr/share/applications/kde4
            /usr/share/applications/kde4/gdebi-kde.desktop
            /usr/share/apps/guidance/pics/kde4.png
            /usr/share/apps/kcmkeys/kde4.kksrc
            /usr/share/apps/konqueror/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/actions/kde4.png
            /usr/share/apps/konqueror/tiles/kde4ever.png
            /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/actions/kde4.png
            /usr/share/icons/mono/scalable/actions/kde4.svgz
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/TODO-plasma-appletsrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/cryptodefaults
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/dolphinrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/katerc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kcminputrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kcmnspluginrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kcookiejarrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/khtmlrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kio_httprc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kmixrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/ktiprc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kuserrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kwalletrc
            /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kwinrc
            /var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_kubuntu-members-kde4_ubuntu_dists_hardy_main_binary-i386_Packages
            /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ppa.launchpad.net_kubuntu-members-kde4_ubuntu_dists_hardy_Release
            tom@tomcloyd-desktop:/$

Comment

Thanks.

Your list is woefully short indeed and lacks, among others, entries under /etc/ - i.e. kde4 is not installed properly.

Perhaps you should review the instructions you followed initially and repeat them by the letter. They worked for me, so they must work for you as well
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Interesting. Tks for the feedback. Unfortunately, reloading KDE4 is not an option, since for some unexplained reason I now have no web connection on Kubuntu. After 3 days of chasing ghosts relative to THAT problem, I'm bagging it. Going to reload the system and start fresh. I need my computer back NOW. Tks for your thoughts. Will probably try the KDE4 install first thing after the reload, and pray that this time it goes better.

Comment

Re: [CLOSED - NO SOLUTION] KDE4 installed, but then...nothing

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X