This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about desktop email programs kmail kontact

Is there a program that will allow my email to be sent to my desktop, such that I would not need to log into my email account online through a website?

Like my email would be directed to this program somehow. Does kmail or kontact do that?
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Re: Question about desktop email programs kmail kontact

Depending on your online email account:
    kmail (kontact / kdepim)
    thunderbird
    spicebird
    Evolution (gnome but works in kde)

All can do that, although I don't really understand what you mean by "to the desktop"
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

From how I read his post, he doesn't want to use a GUI application to access his ISP email account. He could install/configure IMAP (the daemon) and then utilize a CLI email client such as Pine. That said, I can't advise how to do this.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Obviously, paart of the problem is that EACH OF US UNDERSTANDS CW'S QUESTION DIFFERENTLY!!

I thought that he wanted to setup some kind of app that automagically fetches email from an online repository, (like gmail.com) so that he doesn't have to log in with a browser to look at his mail.

@CW: PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU"RE TRYING TO DO

Comment

Please forgive the confusion, it was a vague question because I don't know how to be specific.

My current email is through a university. It utilizes outlook webmail, I believe.

I currently have to dial in the website, then enter my email address and password, then login. This is all done through firefox.

It logs me out with inactivity which is undesirable for when I am expecting e-mails and annoying in general since no one but me uses this computer.

So, I would like to be able to receive mail without having to use firefox. Like....have the emails be sent from their origin right to my desktop, via some kind of program, if such program exists. All the while, circumventing a need for firefox.

Can this be done, and how if so?
          apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

I suspect that your institution's mail server can do what you want it to do. However, the details are a function of how the mail server works. I strongly recommend that you speak to one of the tech support people at the Computer Center (a.k.a "User Confuser"). You will need to know things like: (1) it's address (something like mail.urschool.edu), (2) whether it uses POP or IMAP. You can figure out what you need to ask by starting to configure Kmail and reviewing the questions you will have to answer. It may (or may not) be worthwhile to explain that your problem and that you are using Linux depending on the technical sophistication of the Tech Support person.

Comment

Or, like many email clients, you can go into the settings for the POP server and change the email checking interval to a value that is less than your school's mail server timeout limit.

Comment

@Snowhog: The problem is that the server might not POP! That's why I suggested talking to Tech Support. None the less, your suggestion to set Kmail to autocheck frequently is a good one.

Comment

@askrieger: A valid point. My employer was using Outlook Webmail (as an adjunct to the regular Outlook) until about a year ago. I can't remember if you were able to make this kind of setting change - don't think you could. :P

Comment

I think 'Chris' is trying to do the 'Export/Import' process ( a 'short-cut')...to avoid the tedious method of 'loggin-on'..to his Uni-'s Mail Service.
                    Mate, you have to get the 'permission'....from your Uni's 'supervisor'....to do that.
                    Even then, it is very unlikely...that you will be allowed, to do so, anyway.
                    Courtesy of the LEVEL of Security your Uni- (hopefully) DOES impose...on the use of their 'Mail Service'!
                    (To prevent 'hackers' having 'illegal access'........to their computer's 'main-frame'.)
                    Why should they 'allow' you...to do so....if they do NOT allow others...to do the very same?
                    Chris, bite the bullet, and use your Uni-'s Mail Service...as you have been doing, just like everyone else has to.

Comment

Working...
                    X