X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1 Beta 2

Hi,

I installed the KDE 4.1 beta 2 packages. However, there doesn't seem to be an option for launching KDE 4 from the KDM screen. My only choices are Default, KDE and Failsafe. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.....Paul

Re: KDE 4.1 Beta 2

Can you retrace exactly how you did the installation?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hmmm....it looks like I was too impatient. I redid the install this morning and I was able to enter KDE 4.1. I was a little disappointed. Couldn't find the folder viewer applet. I also thought panel autohide had been added, but it appears I was wrong.

Comment

The 4.1 really looks promising, and with kdepim ported I'm actually thinking of having it replace my 3.5.9 when released.

3 observations, 2 of them being a show-stopper for me:

1: [non-show-stopper] Desktop-icons: What's with the black background on desktop-icons, who actually want their desktop filled with black squares and a tiny icon inside it? And why can't I select icons on the desktop like in a folder-view?
        2: [show-stopper] Autohide the panel. I hope someone implements it. Sorry, can't live without it.
        3: [show-stopper] Speed. On my NVIDIA card (Qadro FX Go1400 with 256MB) with the 96.43.05 driver (which came with hardy) everything is really unusable, especially with the effects turned on, but even without them and composition completely disabled, moving a window is sluggish. 3.5.9 is snappy...

Comment

Hmmm....it looks like I was too impatient. I redid the install this morning and I was able to enter KDE 4.1. I was a little disappointed. Couldn't find the folder viewer applet. I also thought panel autohide had been added, but it appears I was wrong.
          No folderviwer? well that depends. Try installing kdeplasma-base from kde4 version 4.0.83

Autohide? Who said that was going to be in the beta of kde4 beta or 4.1?

Icons?

There is so much info on this forum and google to quench the info thirst of anyone.

The 4.1 really looks promising, and with kdepim ported I'm actually thinking of having it replace my 3.5.9 when released.

kdepim will rock and so will fileviewer in ways that are.....njot quite finished yet

3 observations, 2 of them being a show-stopper for me:

1: [non-show-stopper] Desktop-icons: What's with the black background on desktop-icons, who actually want their desktop filled with black squares and a tiny icon inside it? And why can't I select icons on the desktop like in a folder-view?
          2: [show-stopper] Autohide the panel. I hope someone implements it. Sorry, can't live without it.
          3: [show-stopper] Speed. On my NVIDIA card (Qadro FX Go1400 with 256MB) with the 96.43.05 driver (which came with hardy) everything is really unusable, especially with the effects turned on, but even without them and composition completely disabled, moving a window is sluggish. 3.5.9 is snappy...

It took 10 years for kde to evolve into kde3.5.9

Kde4 has only been around for a very nice 6 months.

So, use kde3.5.9 for production and kde4 for the fun of growing with a completely new experience in desktops or go the whole stretch.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            It took 10 years for kde to evolve into kde3.5.9
            I know, have been using it since the pre-1.0 days

Kde4 has only been around for a very nice 6 months.

So, use kde3.5.9 for production and kde4 for the fun of growing with a completely new experience in desktops or go the whole stretch.
            I know the drill. I just for once in KDE-history (foolishly) hoped this beta would be as other beta-software usually is: Feature complete and only bugs to squash. Sadly, in KDE beta has a history of meaning "lots of features still missing, don't even bother to post bug-reports"
            Quote from [http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.1beta2.php]
            There will be many bugs with this release and it is recommended that you do not file bug reports against the packages in this release
            I'm not ranting the quality, I'm ranting the label of the release. Should be alpha2.

On the bright side: I cleared my .kde4 directory and downloaded and installed the new NVIDIA-drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1.run) and it performs quite a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Vandenberg
              Hi,

I installed the KDE 4.1 beta 2 packages. However, there doesn't seem to be an option for launching KDE 4 from the KDM screen. My only choices are Default, KDE and Failsafe. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.....Paul
              I decided to try KDE 4.1 beta 2 after having a very bad experience with the first beta, so far so good. It certainly seems to be a lot more stable.

Comment

Yeah, what happened to folderview?!
                Quote from kubuntu.com: "Some packages are still compiling. Run the above command [apt-get.. etc] periodically to check for new additions."
                So hopefully It'll come later (today's upgrade didn't do it though).

Update: As usual I find the solution directly after I posted: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e4/+bug/243062
                Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) user

Comment

Does anybody know what's happened to the align horizontally and align vertically options when you right click on the desktop, they seem to have disappeared?

Comment

Working...
                  X