This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HH w/KDE 4 - How to edit files as root? [SOLVED]

Installed Hardy Heron 8.04 remix with KDE 4.0.3 today (not an upgrade, but a new install from the LiveCD). Added the medibuntu repository and GPG key. Enabled the hardy partner repository (Third-Party Software). Installed all the upgraded/install packages that Adept Notifier came back with. Set Konqueror as the default file manager.

There is no Actions > Edit as Root from within Konqueror.
    Launching Kate as sudo from Alt+F2 kdesu kate or from a console fails with Error - KdeSudo "Command not found!" (kdesudo and kdesudo-kde4 packages are installed)
    Becoming root from a console with sudo su works!

So how is one supposed to edit with Kate, files owned by root if you can't launch Kate as root?

I haven't yet installed Kubicle's Root Action Service Menu (yet), but if memory serves me, it added additional Root functions from within Konqueror. The 'default' Actions > Edit as Root is there in Konqueror running KDE 3.5.9
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HH w/KDE 4 - How to edit files as root?

I use Alt-F2 "kdesu kate" -- worked the last time I tried it -- doesn't that work for you? Maybe it's because I added KDE4 on top of HH with KDE3.

Comment

Nope. Seems I have no way to run Kate with kdesu or kdesudo, even when I explicitly provide the path to the program: /usr/bin/kdesudo kate

Comment

Huh. It must be a configuration difference that results from installing the KDE4 remix, versus the way I did it which began with Kubuntu HH Alpha and then added kde4-core and all subsequent updates.

Hearing these kind of problems with the remix, I think I'm going to keep what I've got until KDE4.1 is released, and then reinstall the whole system. It's very stable, except the XFS filesystem does not like my 12GB Win XP virtual machine that runs under VMWare Player. So I've got that same VM set up on two other Linux systems, for security (15 years of genealogy research in a database -- we'll not be risking that!). KDE 4.1 is supposedly coming out in July, so that's my timeframe to rebuild the rig, on an ext3 filesystem.

Comment

I think you may be on to something here. Last night, I installed "all" the KDE 4.0.4 packages, and I still don't have kdesu/kdesudo access to kate!! There are other issues with KDE 4*, as in when navigating to subpages in this forum and replying to a post, various areas in the 'window' aren't being rendered properly (disappearing lines/text etc). I'm inclined to agree with others who have posted that KDE 4 "isn't ready for prime time - by a LONG shot!" :P

Comment

@snowhog:
            sory to point this out but it's:

Code:
            kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kate
            of course you can substitute kate with konqueror or kwrite (if installed), etc

not

Code:
            /usr/bin/kdesudo kate
            @Dible: yes in general kde4 remix kdesudo does not (yet) function as it should whereas in HH kde3/kde4 it works fine.

Other than there are still a few hiccups with kde4 (pure) as snowhog points out but will be resolved shortly (hopefully).

I just started testing 4.1 according to this:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new
            and seems to be much faster and more stable in a few points but not all.

I am still finding my way around it
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              @snowhog:
              sory to point this out but it's:

Code:
              No need to be sorry! I'll try this when I get home tonight. Based on the 'error message' wording, I assumed it was kdesu(do) that couldn't be found, so my /usr/bin/kdesu(do) approach.

Comment

Well, upgradeing to kde4.1 Beta hasn't solved the problem on kde4 remix so I just stick the following into knotes (kde4) and leave it on my Desktop:

kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/konqueror
                kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/dolphin
                kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings

at least until they finally get this sorted.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yeah! Your 'solution' to kdesudo works Fintan. Many thanks!!

Just had 114 installed packages 'upgraded' this evening. My prior posted complaint:
                  as in when navigating to subpages in this forum and replying to a post, various areas in the 'window' aren't being rendered properly (disappearing lines/text etc)as in when navigating to subpages in this forum and replying to a post, various areas in the 'window' aren't being rendered properly (disappearing lines/text etc)
                  has been resolved! THAT was a biggie for me (I'm a very visual person).

Is there a workaround to editing the K Menu in KDE 4?

Comment

You are welcome

Is there a workaround to editing the K Menu in KDE 4?
                    You can install kmenuedit and run it from "run command"
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I see that kmenuedit isn't specifically identified as being for KDE4, so I'm assuming it's for KDE 3.5.x but will work with editing the K Menu in KDE 4. I'm running KDE 4.0.5 at the moment. Would I be correct?

Added: Apparently so. Installed kmenuedit and I am now able to edit K Menu entries. Cool. 8)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] HH w/KDE 4 - How to edit files as root?

Gald to hear it

bthw in kde4.1 you can open kmenuedit by right clicking on "K".
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

If I opt to upgrade to KDE 4.1 per the instructions at http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.1beta1.php how should I answer the question about verification? As I'm running 4.0.5, will I then be at 4.1 without any 4.0.5 pieces still in place?

Comment

As I'm running 4.0.5, will I then be at 4.1 without any 4.0.5 pieces still in place?
                            afaik kde4.1 beta will completely replace kde 4.0.5.

You may want to have a look here:
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4297#msg134297

and here:
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new
                            first.

I love it but that is subjective.

apparently there are some issues with 64 bit system but not sure.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                              apparently there are some issues with 64 bit system but not sure.
                              Glad I have a 32 bit system. I'll look at the links a little later.

Comment

Working...
                              X