This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Ubuntu,KDE] Hybrid System

Ok there is something I wanna know how to do. I kinda have done it before. First off I used to have a Ubuntu 6.10 system and I had added KDE so I had both Gnome and KDE on my "Hybrid System". I could pick which one and even switch between each sesssion (I haven't used Linux in a long time and wanna start up again, I think it was like CTRL+ALT+F6,7,or 8 had to put text here or the 8 and bracket would go like this: 8)).

One day while running a KDE session I ran the Xkill command and clicked on the desktop, and what happened was in the screenshot. I hade the KDE "K" Menu (Kinda like the windows start menu, I say KDE is like Windows and Gnome is like Mac, except instead of the apple Menu there is the Applications menu with an Ubuntu logo) and the side panel I added, however my desktop icons are from Gnome.

I liked this, I like the KDE Panel's/"K" Menu, and themes, however I like the Gnome desktop, icons. Also This means I can have KDE Panels and when I click the icon for "EXTERNAL" (Mounted USB Hard Drive) it opens Nautilus instead of Konqueror, and I like Nautilus better before it would open Konqueror if I opened a mounted volume.

So what I was wondering is if I could permanently do this, I did it only once and it might have been a fluke and might not work in newer versions, and even if it did, I do not wanna run Xkill everytime I startup my computer.

So basically is there a way to have KDE Panels and Gnome desktop, or atleast make the KDE Desktop like the Gnome one:

* Double click not single click (I use Kpersonalize command)
    * Icons for Gnome
    * Have Nautilus as the default file manager

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...2&d=1211600025
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: [Ubuntu,KDE] Hybrid System

run command

Code:
    kcontrol
    for a lot of settings.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

What option would I click there to get that I want.

ALso the Kpersonalizer command doesn't work anymore so I can't make so it opens things when I double click, not single click...
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think you are making your life way too complicated. You seem to prefer Gnome overall, so you are probably better of just running the default Ubuntu OS, and maybe you can add a couple KDE Killer applications (Amarok and K3b have no counterpart in Gnome IMHO).

Hope this helps!

Comment

I like the Toolbars from KDE and the sound affects. I just don't like the desktop compared to Gnome's because if I double click a folder or mounted device I want Nautilus to open, and my icons...

Comment

I think these things you can configure in KDE-4 in the System Settings, look at these screenshots:
            Attached Files

Comment

I think I already figured out the double click thing (I can install Kpersonalizer as a package, or do it manually). But I still have positioned my icons nicely on my Gnome Desktop and if I go into KDE they will be messed up.

Comment

Working...
              X