This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few tips and tricks for HH kde4 remix

A lot of people are haveing some problems with kde4 remix 8.04 so I thought I would post a place where we can gather some helpfull tips & Tricks.

Here are just a few:

System Settings and admin mode
    system settings and especially admin mode is not finished yet. Maybe for kde4.04.

Use Kcontrol:
    alt+f2 (or right click on desktop>run application) and kcontrol. If it is not installed install it from adept. It is kde3.5 but has all the functions.

Adding a printer:

If you have a usb printer it should be recognized when you hook it up.
    If not:
    Open adept manager and search for:cups
    there you will see:
    printconfig
    and search for print
    you should find:
    kdeprint

Open up kcontrol>devices (or something, mine is in german) or HPToolbox (sytsem>hptoolbox) and add your printer.

Adding applications to the kmenu:

open up settings from kmenu>applications and look for menu editor (or similar, mine is in german)

AFIK this the only way to do this for a while.
    Maybe KDE4.0.4 will have some more menu editing possibilities.

If anyone knows a different/better way please enlighten us.

Adding applications to the toolbar (Panel):
    Right click on the application you want to add and choose add to (taskbar) panel.

Changing the plasma theme:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092050.0

pay attention to the last 2-3 posts.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: A few tips and tricks for HH kde4 remix

Thanks Fintan!

Comment

yes, thanks from me, too!

this ought to keep me busy & keep Saint Conniption away from my door...for at least 45 minutes.

-- <br />Yatgirl&#39;s Box New Orleans

Comment

Installed KControl. Was able to do a few things, but I still can't add a user or modify a users groups assignement. Any way that this can be done?

Comment

Found this thread - Still unclear how to add/mod users.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...seen#msg128489

Comment

Another trick I've seen in order to change your startup programs, at least to stop one from running, this one without installing kcontrol:

1. Navigate to your home directory in dolphin, and then enable "View Hidden Files".
            2. Look for a directory named .config , inside should be a directory called autostart (full directory path is ~/.config/autostart)
            3. Inside this folder will be links to any programs starting up automatically. To stop a program from launching delete the file with the programs name followed by .desktop (pidgin.desktop or yakuake.desktop, you get the idea). To add another program.... well i haven't tried that yet. If anyone has the scoop on this post the info please!

On a side note, I have read that another autostart folder exists in .kde4/autostart but when I examined it mine was empty. If the program still won't go away check there too.

Comment

Wireless didn't work but then again i didn't expect it to, once i installed ndiswrapper and found the right drivers again the it works fine again.
              The other important things work and I do like KDE4, but the downsides.

sudo doesn't seem to work with kate (or to be correct 'kdesu')

None of my media keys now work at all, well I've sort of managed to remap the volume ones but all the others don't while they used to work fine.

My brightness function keys didn't work at all, just a very dim display (got some control back but not fixed yet)

synaptic now seems to be playing up and not closing the last window, the updates or installs go on fine and seem to work but I have to kill the synaptic process to add any more.

also my synaptics touchpad stopped working on scrolling, now its working again ?

Compiz is acting odd, well a different type of odd to what I was used to before, and effects and desktop was very very slow on battery power.

Plus sides are that I do like the eye candy of KDE4 and also 8.04 boots very quickly, though now I've enabled compiz the boot from compiz to full working desktop is slow, probably as long as the whole rest of boot together.

I do hope the KDE team get things working better soon though, I've also installed mint with gnome on my old laptop and its actually quite pretty, not at all like the windows 95/98 lookalike that I remember gnome to be.

Mike

P.S. My software is HP pavilion dv9646em (9500) with nvidia 8400GS broadcom wireless bcm4321ag (or sometimes reported as 4328)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                Installed KControl. Was able to do a few things, but I still can't add a user or modify a users groups assignement. Any way that this can be done?
                I believe I installed kuser (not 100% sure on the name), and this allowed me to add/edit users/groups. worked for me, but YMMV.
                mm0
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Comment

Actually there was a kuser-kde4. I installed that and ran it via kdesudo. Worked great! That's what I needed. Was able to get my VirtualBox working again. I'm really close to 100% where I was under KDE3.5.9. There are a few annoyances, but I know they'll improve. I'm quite enjoying KDE4 and since going to the 64bit Architecture, the only thing left that I can't find is a 64bit version of the Citrix Client (Citrix doesn't make one for Linux >) Other than that

Comment

for those that haven't see it, there is a quick launcher applet on kde-look.org, under plasmoids...so far, it's working great...

Speaking of plasmoids (or widgets, or whatever you want to call them!), I discovered that after you click the 'add widget' button, they can't be moved...so, to work around this, instead of clicking the add widget button, I drag them from the dialog box, and place them on the panel (or desktop) exactly where I want them to be! may be old hat to you guys, but I was extremely happy to discover this!

mm0
                      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Found this thread - Still unclear how to add/mod users.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...seen#msg128489
                        install kuser-kde4

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                          I believe I installed kuser (not 100% sure on the name), and this allowed me to add/edit users/groups. worked for me, but YMMV.
                          mm0
                          Adduser is installed by default. In CLI code "sudo adduser xxxxxx" (xxxxx new user name) works fine.

In addition the multimedia buttons work brilliantly with Amarok but only the volume up/down/mute in kaffeine/Mplayer. The other buttons i had to map after installing kcontrol kde 3. My 5 button mouse works flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                          X