This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard layout KDE 4

Anyone know - is the keyboard layouts not finished in KDE4 - or do I miss something?

I've tried both Norwegian and Danish (more or less the same) - but the special characters (a-ring, o-slash, ae) simply isn't there. There's nothing on those keys; while most other is ok.

Is this a case of wait-until-some-later-version, or something I have missed?

Re: Keyboard layout KDE 4

I noticed this morning that the tray icon for my alternate keyboard layout was missing -- I know it was there a couple days ago when I last used it, but I can't say for certain when it disappeared. There were lots of updates yesterday and last night -- a new Hardy Heron kernel and lots of KDE-related package updates. Possibly the alternate keyboard thing got broken ..... :P

Comment

It works for me (using swedish, but I just tested and no or dk works too). I'm using KDE 4.0.3 though, as described here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.3.php
      Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) user

Comment

Originally posted by Tomas Å

I'm using KDE 4.0.3 though, as described here:
        Apparently I am now upgraded to KDE 4.0.3 -- I opened the "help" menu on Kate and that's what it says. 8)

Comment

OK, after updating today, I now see that KMenu>System Settings>Keyboard & Mouse (KDE4 version) now provides the keyboard layout functionality again. The tray icon is gray and has only the 2-letter Internet country code, no flags anymore. But, it is working for DE as well as US now.

Comment

It works for me (using swedish, but I just tested and no or dk works too). I'm using KDE 4.0.3 though, as described here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.3.php
            Did the update - no change.

What I have done is:

System Settings -> Regional&Language -> Keyboard Layout -> Enable keyboard layots -> Choose: Norway and Denmark -> Choose: Show country flag

Is this what you did?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              OK, after updating today, I now see that KMenu>System Settings>Keyboard & Mouse (KDE4 version) now provides the keyboard layout functionality again.
              I've done the upgrade - but System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse have only "Keyboard repeat" and "NumLock" (Under Keyboard) - Mouse and Keyboard Shortcuts.

Comment

Crap! I hate it when I give bad advice!

Under KMenu>System Settings, it NOT "Keyboard & Mouse", it is "Regional & Language > Keyboard Layout".

I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
                  Did the update - no change.

What I have done is:

System Settings -> Regional&Language -> Keyboard Layout -> Enable keyboard layots -> Choose: Norway and Denmark -> Choose: Show country flag

Is this what you did?
                  Yes. But the flag doesn't show on my system either. Like dibl said.

Oh I almost forgot; I also choose "Generic 105 key (intl) PC" in the "keyboard model" list. You didn't say you choose it, so maybe that's what wrong? (Although, when I switch back to 104/102 keys, I can still write åäö, so maybe not...)
                  Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) user

Comment

same here, the us layout version is missing "~" to the left of "1"

Comment

Oh I almost forgot; I also choose "Generic 105 key (intl) PC" in the "keyboard model" list. You didn't say you choose it, so maybe that's what wrong? (Although, when I switch back to 104/102 keys, I can still write åäö, so maybe not...)
                      That did it.
                      Heja Sverige!

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA

That did it.
                        Heja Sverige!
                        A sequel:

Reinstalling kde4 (including removing the /home/nils/.kde4 folder reveals that there is more to this. I had to install the Swedish keyboard first, then 105 keys, then go back to Norwegian.

Not quite self evident

Comment

Working...
                        X