This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why oh Why??

After todays upgrade on HH and logging in into kde4. Which I have been doing 90% of the time I am greeted by a Unicorn (i am still using kdm), so far well...But instead of my nice slim-glow plasma theme, which I learnt how to install myself, I get this, for lack of a nice word, "puffter" fluffy bunny plasma theme.

I am furious!

If the kubuntu guys want to impress us then give us a way of choosing the theme we want from system settings instead of just "giving" us what they think is really cool. That is just really uncool.

You may like it but I don't agree with this attitude at all.

Have a look an decide for yourself have a look at the Image Gallery and look for Puffter Screenshot.

Any ideas on how to change this in a gui are welcome
    I know how do it by editing a few files, but now that we are being forced I want a gui to make my choices from)

Cheers to all

Edit:
    For the sake of completeness here is my howto for installing plasma themes in kde4. PLease note the last three posts

I love unicorns but not on my desktop. So you will have to change the background in systemsettings kde3->advanced->startup manager (or whatever, mine is in german) to the one you like.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Why oh Why??

I figured this was just an April Fool? I found this which I assume is the cause of the new wallpaper setting being applied:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+...ings/1:8.04-17

Changelog

kubuntu-default-settings (1:8.04-17) hardy; urgency=low

* April Fool

-- Michael Anderson <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com> Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:18:42 +0100

Comment

Well if it was they could have at least put some text widget that comes up and tells you that it is
      and also how to get rid of it.

BTHW that link is broken
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

BTHW that link is broken
        Thanks. Fixed.

Comment

Somebody at Ubuntu forums posted a screencap
          http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ermata1pq5.png

I showed it to my wife and she really liked it. She wanted to set it as the wallpaper on her XP machine. I told her PNG files aren't Windows-compatible.
          Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Originally posted by kortsen
            Somebody at Ubuntu forums posted a screencap
            http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ermata1pq5.png

I showed it to my wife and she really liked it. She wanted to set it as the wallpaper on her XP machine. I told her PNG files aren't Windows-compatible.
            Yeah, I also wouldn't really want it for myself (I was kindof surprised to see it, heh, my April 1st was so low key it took me awhile to realize it was an April Fools Day joke) but it's not a badly drawn picture at all, it must exist somewhere now on my Hardy laptop as an actual image...any ideas where, folks?

Nevermind, I just stopped being lazy and checked the installed files list for ksplash to see where themes go, then realized it's just a symlink to the file in /usr/share/wallpapers. Turns out it's a jpeg; anyone who wants to have it but doesn't at the moment (I'm expecting an update any minute now...) can download it from here. I also have the normal kubuntu background up there too if anyone needs that! Might as well be complete.

Comment

That link you posted. Is that really the picture Kubuntu displays? What's odd, I found that exact same picture on the net for my daughter. She wanted a unicorn, I searched Google, found that picture and she liked it so I fixed it up for her. Of course it's not used now by her as she found another, but that is really strange that it should show up here.

Comment

That is odd. I changed from "kdm-kde4" back to "kdm" and sure enough, the Login background was definitely the Unicorn. You can go to the file "/etc/default/kdm.d/20_kubuntu_default_settings" and change the theme to something else. That backgound is actually a part of the Theme itself. The only way to change it other than mod the file mentioned above to a different theme is to replace the back ground the Theme references which looking at it points here "/usr/share/wallpapers/kubuntu-wallpaper.jpg".

Hope this helps!

Edit: This by the way is a JPG, so kortsen, your wife should be able to use this in Window$.

Comment

Working...
                X