This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 and SuperKaramba's short commings.

I can say, that even after using the fallback command, SuperKaramba is really a huge disappointment. Yes I know it is on a new system, but I can't get any of the Karmaba widgets I have to work no where near 50%! Kross error messages continue with no apparent solution. Has anyone been successful with superKaramba on KDE4? What widgets do you use if so?

Re: KDE4 and SuperKaramba's short commings.

I had so much trouble with Superkaramba the last time I tried it (Kubuntu Gutsy) that I just switched to gkrellm for monitoring the system. It wouldn't start up correctly, or rather it would start but not show on the desktop, and then the process wouldn't stop correctly either, once I got it running, and I found myself with 2 and 3 instances running, but none showing on the desktop. I just threw in the towel.

Funny, it runs just fine on Mepis 7.

Comment

It has always run fine for up until KDE4. That said, gkrellm, how's it used? Will man gkrellm work? I'm willing to check out something new if it works with KDE4.

Comment

gkrellm is a great little monitor package, IMHO. Assuming you already have lm-sensors installed and have run the sensors-detect routine, just install the package gkrellm and run it with the obvious command. If you want to see the phase of the moon on top of the panel, install gkrellmoon too. Seems like something "MoonRise" should have.

Right-click on top of the gkrellm window to get to the settings. I double the width to 120 pixels, for example, and set it to show both my CPU cores separately. Play around with it and see how many sensors you can pick up -- it shows my Nvidia GPU temp, for example, and my hard drive temps (I have hddtemp installed).

Comment

O, yes. That! I used it once, but I just like the eye candy of Karamba. One of the very few that I even use. I was hoping it was another Karamba type application.

Comment

Yep -- when Superkaramba is working, it is prettier that gkrellm, for sure.

But, there's that moon phase thing on gkrellm .... pretty cool! 8)

Comment

Well. I tried it and I can live with that for now. I actually had a Moon Phase widget for SuperKaramba, so that worked out and I was able to skin it half way decent. I can also say that it takes a lot less processing time then Superkaramba.

Comment

Yes, GKrellM is a nice little utility. Depending on detectable hardware and sensors you have, it can be configured quite a bit. There are two transparent themes, but they were designed to be run on Gnome. I downloaded both, and they run just fine, and are transparent (black or white). I'm running Compiz as my WM, and the only problem is that the borders aren't completely invisible, although the posted images of it running (on Gnome) are. You can get both here.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks! I was wanting transparency. So far I'm pleased. Don't know what I didn't like the first time.

Comment

I'm using the 'default' theme, but with partial transparency. See below:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is that in KDE4? I've tried those in KDE3.5.9 and Transparency is OK. In KDE4 not so. No biggie, just an observation.

Comment

KDE 3.5.9. I haven't tried in in KDE 4, which I do have installed (kde4-core). It would be a simple test to just restart KDE and choose the KDE 4 desktop and see if there is any difference.

Comment

No transparency in GKrellM at all in KDE 4, not even selecting the two transparent themes. That could be of course, because I don't have a full KDE 4 installation.

Comment

Oh my, Oh my!! There were some updates today that had Koss Scripting and few others and now my SuperKaramba Themes work in KDE4!!!

That definitely does it now. As I said in another post. Upon release of HH Remix, my system will get a new make over! The other "problems" to me are trivial and work aroundable. Thanks for the gkrellm info. I did use it for a while, and really do like it, it's just these two SuperKarmaba themes I use I like quite a bit and now they can continue on with KDE4.

Comment

Working...
                            X