This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Testing Kubuntu 8.04 Beta1 KDE4 remix

I installed the KDE4 beta yesterday. So far this is a short list of things I have noticed which I hope to get fixed when final comes out. Some of them (no power saving :-X) are making it almost unusable for me.

-No power management option, or I have not found them. Only monitor blanking. And after all this is a laptop!
    -The screen configuration tool looks really promising. But doesn't work for me. I changed lots of options, but the button Apply remains disabled. That way I am forced to use the native laptop resolution of 1024x768 on my external monitor.
    -Adept_updater only fetched the .debs but halted when it had to install them. Good ol' apt-get had to help.
    -I couldn't find the Advanced Desktop Effects option, but for this one I hadn't searched a lot.

Comment

try going to details... there was a text "ok" to press on one of my updates that held things up.

Comment

For the Advanced Desktop Effects, go to System Settings and click on the Desktop icon. One of the tabs says "All Effects". That's the one you want.

I haven't tried the screen config tool, but maybe you have to use sudo in order to write the changes since it presumably edits your xorg.conf file. Just a guess.

Comment

I haven't tried the screen config tool, but maybe you have to use sudo in order to write the changes since it presumably edits your xorg.conf file. Just a guess.
          The screen config tool is pretty much useless at the moment. This will change as HH apraoches release.

For now: alt+F2->
          Code:
          kdesudo kate /etc/x11/xorg.conf
          password.

do not use sudo with gui apps!!
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Mort
            I installed the KDE4 beta yesterday. So far this is a short list of things I have noticed which I hope to get fixed when final comes out. Some of them (no power saving :-X) are making it almost unusable for me.

-No power management option, or I have not found them. Only monitor blanking. And after all this is a laptop!
            -The screen configuration tool looks really promising. But doesn't work for me. I changed lots of options, but the button Apply remains disabled. That way I am forced to use the native laptop resolution of 1024x768 on my external monitor.
            During the last update/upgrade the power management to the display no longer has any effect (systemsettings --> Display --> Power). Screen blanks but no longer shuts off. xorg.conf still has the DPMS option in it. I fooled around using kpowersave and that has no effect either. I also logged in as root, and entered systemsettings there, but figured that would have no effect on my profile as a regular user. I was correct.

Is there a config file I can use to set this manually?

Using an eternal monitor is very odd with my notebook (asus eeepc).

If I log into KDE4, when the desktop loads, the panel is half way up the external display, and only goes part of the way across from left to right. The wallpaper is odd too with one rectangle on another. Opening display under systemsettings causes the screen to revert to an extremely low resolution. The settings window is there and there are options for both screens including the ability to disable them or change the resolution. The "Apply" feature does not work however. Still doesn't work as of 05/12/2008. KDE3 handles this correctly.

Comment

Working...
            X