Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desktop and applications are running very slow.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop and applications are running very slow.

Hello, I am new to Kubuntu, about a month old.. When i installed the Kubuntu it was working fine.

I installed the Compiz package and that made my Desktop and applications (especially the response time while performing window operations like scrolling) very slow.

Then i uninstalled Compiz and to executed command
    kwin --replace & kde-window-manager &
    This removed Compiz but made my Kubuntu very slow, applications like Firefox flicker a lot when i scroll.

Please suggest me some way getting out of this and restore my old Desktop settings.

Re: Desktop and applications are running very slow.

What video driver are you using?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I'm having the same problem too. I'm using a Nvidia 5200 FX card with 128mb and I'm using the proprietary nvidia driver that gets installed by doing "restricted drivers".

I have 640mb of ram and I'm using kubuntu 7.10 and kde 3.5.?
      I'm also using an Athlon 950 amd.
      My primary pc is sick so I'm using my secondary pc.
      Maybe firefox is my problem.
      Firefox 2.0.0.12

Comment

Originally posted by pcdoctor
        I'm having the same problem too.  I'm using a Nvidia 5200 FX card with 128mb and I'm using the proprietary nvidia driver that gets installed by doing "restricted drivers".

I have 640mb of ram and I'm using kubuntu 7.10 and kde 3.5.?
        I'm also using an Athlon 950 amd.
        My primary pc is sick so I'm using my secondary pc.
        Maybe firefox is my problem.
        Firefox 2.0.0.12
        Have you installed Compiz (or better yet, do you have XGL installed)?  The xserver-xgl package allows you to run Compiz on video cards that do not support direct rendering (3D Accelleration), but isn't needed - and in fact, is detrimental - if you have an Nvidia or ATI card, as they do support direct rendering. If you want to double-check that it's not installed, open Konsole and try uninstalling XGL (this won't do anything if it's not installed):
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove xserver-xgl
        Then, make sure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is configured correctly; if you haven't yet, try running this command from Konsole:
        Code:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
        Check that 'glx' is enabled in the "Module" section of your xorg.conf:
        Code:
        cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        Also, Firefox 2.x is a memory hog, so it may very well be slowing you down; it may be wise - at least until you get your primary pc up-and-running again - to switch to something lighter, such as Konqueror or Opera.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X