This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Manager KDE4

When I was in KDE4 I went to load APM and it asked me for my password, duh. But when I entered the one I use under KDE3 it told me wrong password. It didn't ask me for a new password when I installed it. And it let me use the password to log in, so what am I missing?

Thanks,
    James

Re: Package Manager KDE4

I've had that problem. I haven't had a chance to figure it out because in the process of searching for the problem I accidentally uninstalled some KDE4 components and well I'm now downloading the HH KDE4 Alpha to start with an all fresh HH with KDE4 by default. Hopefully that problem won't happen once I install.

Comment

I've had that problem
      And here I thought it was just me it hated LOL.

Comment

No, and the Alpha KDE4 should be considered just that. It did a lot better than the daily version I mistakenly tested, but I still had to choose Safe Graphics mode as the "normal" still produced "Overly Large" fonts on the screen rendering the Desktop basically useless.

When HH KDE4 is released, I will use it though. I have already decided that I will jump to KDE4 no matter what state it is in at that time. I figured it will force me to learn the ins and outs of KDE4.

Comment

It will be a week tomorrow that KDE 4.01 has been running on my Hardy Heron system -- I even did the kernel upgrade the other day and it still held together.

I have not found that KDE4 has a different Adept Package manager -- apparently it's the same one as KDE 3 uses, right? That's the one that I parked on the panel, since I didn't see another one. But I've got the KDE 4 Kate, and D3lphin, and a few of the other KDE 4 packages, including the games.

So, perhaps you guys will be able to get past the bugginess in the near term -- I hope so.

Comment

I hope. And yes, from what I've seen, the package manager is still the KDE3 version. I'll install the KDE4 Alpha tomorrow, then I'll know for sure how it really behaves. Right now those tests were from the LiveCD, which I know can be "shaky" .

Comment

Well so far I really like KDE4. Like the look/feel of it. Just a few small issues I have found so far, not that big a deal. I mean I can always install in KDE3 and then log into KDE4. Till it's ready for full release.

James

Comment

I just finished installing HH KDE4 virtually. Used the package manager just fine this time around. Now I'm set to play for sure!

Comment

I just finished installing HH KDE4 virtually

I think I understand what your saying. HH is the newest Kubuntu, right? KDE4, I have so yeah I get it. What do you mean when you say "virtually"

As I said so far I like KDE4. Just wish I could get into my package manager. But there again not the end of the world. It's not like I don't have another option for installing things. I was just wanting to see if there was any updates for KDE4 I should install.

I can do the "sudo apt-get updates" and it will do the same thing, right?

Thanks again.
                  James

PS: It's kind of weird you ask me. It will let me enter my root password from a command line, but not for the PM. It tells me wrong password. Weird ya ask me.

Comment

Sorry. I use VirtualBox to do my testing of Alphas and Betas, hence why I said virtually. There are a few drawbacks to this, but over all I get a good base to test the basics.

Comment

Working...
                    X