X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 and Black Screen?

OK,

I loaded KDE4 and went to inable the 3D desktop feature, and now I have a black screen. It loads I hear sound. I can "find" icons, because I know where on my desk top they are loaded. I did a search and found a few other's had this issue but the fixes I found in the other treads didn't help me. I do the ctrl+alt+del and I get my menu screen, but I can't see any of the choices. I hit esc on it because I know about where it would be at but it goes back to the black screen. I try to get a command line to show up and I'm sure it opens because if I move my mouse around I get the line showing it's ready for me to enter text. But I can't see anything. I'm sure there is a post about this with a fix but couldn't find it. If someone would please point me to it I will gladly work the steps (LOL sound like a 12-step program).

Thanks again. I have to say I really like the look of KDE4 and look forward to working in it and getting to know it.

James

Re: KDE4 and Black Screen?

If you had a KDE 4 desktop before you enabled the "effects", then something obviously is wrong with your "effects" setup. That's all I can say for sure with the information provided. If you can disable the "effects" for awhile, maybe we can try some troubleshooting -- like, does glxgears work?

Comment

I encountered this issue by uninstalling a couple KDE3.x apps, which for some reason caused Kwin-kde4 to throw a fit.  I fixed it by reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop metapackage (which reinstalled all the packages I'd uninstalled).  You might try that, and if it doesn't work, try deleting kwins config file ( ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc ) and restarting X.  Other than those, I'm not aware of any other method anybody's successfully been able to use to fix this problem :P
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

LOL I can't even see where to start in order to disable them. Like I said it's a total black screen with just my mouse pointer. So let me ask you this, can go into APM and uninstall the kde4-core and then reinstall? Will that "fix" the black screen, and I can stay away from the effects part and spend my time getting use to the new desktop.

James

Comment

You should still be able to log into your KDE3 session; from there, to open the KDE4 System Settings window, just run the command:
          Code:
          /usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

/usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings
            That worked. I was able to turn off the effects and now I'm back into KDE4 now.

Thanks so very much.

James

Comment

Awesome!!!
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I have a similar issue with KDE4 and enabling effects. However, this only occurs on my desktop running GG with nvidia graphics. I can easily enable effects on my laptop running HH Alpha with Intel graphics. I don't know where the issue is, but I am experiencing the same thing.

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I have the same problem...
                  Is this an OpenGL problem?

I went in to the advanced settings and choosed XRender instead of OpenGL and now everything seems to work fine.

I'm usung a ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 on an ASUS laptop with proprierty drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
                    I have a similar issue with KDE4 and enabling effects. However, this only occurs on my desktop running GG with nvidia graphics. I can easily enable effects on my laptop running HH Alpha with Intel graphics. I don't know where the issue is, but I am experiencing the same thing.

Mike
                    Mike, which video chip do you have? -- nvidia and intel drivers can't BOTH be right for it -- it sounds like it's an Intel. If so, remove everything Nvidia on that GG system, and use the Intel driver.

Comment

The desktop has nvidia graphics (GeForce 6600 AGP) running GG, the laptop has intel graphics running HH. When I attempt to enable effects on the GG nvidia box, the screen turns black. It works fine for the HH portable box.

Mike

Comment

Ahhhh -- sorry, I didn't realize you were referring to two different systems (guess I could have read the thread a little more carefully!).

Well, does glxgears run on that desktop? Can you see (by opening nvidia-settings) which version of the proprietary driver it is running? I had such a poor experience with the "Restricted Driver Manager" on Gutsy beta that I've just ignored it ever since. Probably you could use the Envy installer and end up with a better result.

Comment

Thanks dibl, I will take a look at that when I get home. I stayed with the restricted drivers since it worked.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Mike

Comment

dibl,

I just completed the envy install. I have KDE4 running with effects! Thanks for you help there.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X