This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Font too small and general appearence problems

OK, I hope there is a hero out there that can help.

I installed KDE-4 and the fonts were so small that I actually had to hold a magnifying glass up to the screen to see them and that did not help much. I had to guess and finally I made it to the place where you change text sizes. I changed all font sizes to 20 and that makes most of them viewable to to the human eye. Some are now enormous I have been messing with the different sizes for about an hour and have made very little headway. The icons on my desktop are huge. My resolution is set at 1024x768.

The download manager is still too small to read even after I changed the "all fonts setting" to 26. I cannot use kde-4 like this. I cannot even see the words to update it in the update manager. I have used other themes to no avail and I am getting a headache! LOL My hardware is:

Amd athlon 6000+
    2 gig crucial ballistix ram
    MSI Motherboard
    Geforce 8600gts (PNY brand) vidcard
    Monitor samsung 21 inch syncmaster 900p

I have been using KDe for about 6 months now and I am used to it and like it. From what I have seen of KDE4 I will love it if I can get it to work. Any help would be really appreciated.

Re: Font too small and general appearence problems

So you said my suggestions did not work (in other topic) but did they change the font size at all?

I'm running KDE4 on a laptop at 1024x768 resolution and the text is at about a 12pt font size for a majority of the interface. Speaking of which, you could try lowering your resolution if it is higher than 1024x768, although you will lose some desktop 'real-estate' in the process.

- Michael

Comment

yeah, I can see the number going up but some of the fonts do not change at all. I tried lowering the resolution. That did not help. It did make my desktop icons so big that not all of them will fit on the desktop. I think it may be a hardware problem I have even changed my theme and that juat made the fonts not viewable again. I am gonna change my resolutiion tonight when I get home and then restart the x-server to see what happens

Comment

Did you try changing your /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file? (If you runn kde4 I guess you will have to change the/kde3 to /kde4?)

Scroll down to Core config for local displays.

There you will find:
        Code:
        # Core config for local displays
        [X-:*-Core]
        # How often to try to run the X-server. Running includes executing it and
        # waiting for it to come up.
        # Default is 1
        #ServerAttempts=1
        # How long to wait for a local X-server to come up.
        # Default is 15
        #ServerTimeout=15
        # The command line to start the X-server, without display number and VT spec.
        # This string is subject to word splitting.
        # Default is "/usr/bin/X -br"
        ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -br -dpi 74
        # Additional arguments for the X-servers for local sessions.
        # This string is subject to word splitting.
        # Default is ""
        ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp -dpi 74
        In your file there most probably are no -dpi 74 at the end of two lines.

You may need another number - I've seen some use 100. Probably both lines are not necessary, but it seems to work well for some of us.

Comment

Thanks, I will try that and get back to you.

Comment

Working...
          X