This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 and the ".desktop" file system

OK. I've noticed that under KDE4 when you have a ".desktop" file on the Desktop, it does not function as one might come to expect. Is there a reason to this? I can't figure out why it doesn't function. Did they change some kind of header information in that file specifically to KDE4? Do all custom ".desktop" files have to be redone? Just want to know.

Edit: Side note. I have been able to run these through Dolphin and Konqueror. They just don't function on the desktop.

Re: KDE4 and the ".desktop" file system

For me works. Do you have mouse configured to use one click to open files? If you have double click, it's not working.

Comment

What kind of system do you have ? Clean KDE 4, KDE4 + KDE3.5, Gutsy/Hardy...

With clean installation with live CD (Gutsy, KDE 4 only): "Desktop icons don't work. But if you go to the Desktop folder and click there icons (.desktop files), they work."

There is something wrong with the installation process. If i start live session with CD, i can make desktop files (desktop icons) that work.

This isn't Kubuntu only problem (googling) -> SUSE/KDE4 same problem, no fix...

Waiting more stable installation media (hopefully alternate CD) to reinstall KDE 4.

Standard warning

KDE 4 is at the moment experimental (someone might call it beta).

Beta version of KDE are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Beta versions of KDE ARE recommended for developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Links:

KDE4 Desktop Icons Don't Work?
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4286093

KDE4 Kickoff Icons No Longer Work
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/189793
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131. That helps me feel a little better. I do have double click on. To me, that is a bad bug they've introduced. I don't like single clicking. Gets me in trouble . They do work outside of the Desktop. If I'm in Konqueror or Dolphin they work fine. Thanks for the feed back!

Comment

Working...
        X