This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4 Login Manager Broken?

yeah, scanning is broken in HH due to some as of yet unresolved hal/udev/PolicyKit issues
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...ds/+bug/181129

Comment

Wish they would also find a way to support the Visioneer Stobe Pro. Has always been a great performer for me. Hate to ditch it.

Comment

Ok, so I tried the 'kdesudo kcontrol' command from Alt+F2, and it prompts me for the kdesudo password (which I'm assuming is the same as my root password) which I gave it, then the password prompt disappears and nothing happens.

Also, I somehow switched my user account to the root group, which I thought might be affecting my ability to open applications with root privileges ??

Also, I noticed that KDE4 has the user account settings dialog within the Login Manager area that I am try to access, so I'm in a paradox of needing to change my user permissions to allow myself to access the area where I can change those permissions (as well as KDM settings). Talk about a mind trip...

Comment

Alright, I seem to have gotten things under control.

For the benefit of anybody in a similar situation I will explain in brief detail the steps I took to solve my problem...

- Booted in recovery mode;
          - From within recovery console (as root) did 'startx' to get into ubuntu desktop
          - Ran 'System Settings' which brought up KDE4 System Settings, in which I was able to finally access the KDE4 Login Manager in all its glory.
          - Made desired changes; Applied and quit setting dialog.
          - To fix group association for my user account I opened up Dolphin, navigated to '/usr/bin' and ran the KDE3 System Settings, from which I selected User Management, and made the necessary changes.
          - Applied settings, quit, and rebooted normally.
          - Everything seems to be working fine now.

Whew! What a mouthful...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

- Michael

Comment

Working...
          X