This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best distro for 3D?

I'm going into the 3D animation field, and I want to know if Kubuntu is good for it, or if I should get something else. Right now I'm just using Blender, but I might get Maya or a more professional app if I need to.
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Re: What is the best distro for 3D?

Personally, I have no idea, but I suspect that the distro doesn't matter that much. At the end of the day, all Linux distros are pretty much alike. Their differences lie in the ease of adapting to new hordware (including things like graphics tablets, joysticks, and tv tuners), the ease of installing new software and in the variety of new software that's available for them.

In these respects, (K)Ubuntu is pretty good. It is Debian based so it has access to about 20,000 software packages. But, unlike Debian itself. it is designed to run on state-of-the-art hardware and the developers have made some changes to the user interfaces that are designed to improve usability. One might argue with some of the design choices, but it's not hard to modify the user interface, if desired.

That said, (K)Ubuntu is a general purpose distro. There are about 500 Linux distros. Some of them are specifically designed for graphics. I'd suggest taking a look at the compendium of distributions at Distrowatch. At last count, there were 513 to choose from.

Comment

Hmm. Want 3D candy? Sabayon Linux comes with KDE and Beryl already installed and is based off Gentoo. Is it the best? Who knows. That's difficult to say but generally distros that focus on KDE will have the nicest candy as KDE sees better suited for candy.
      I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

I think Ubuntu studio might have what you are looking for. It appears to be down at the minute but might be worth checking out tomorrow.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Sabayon is supposed to be really good for 3D but sadly it has never fully booted on my PC. If I choose yes to 3D OOTB it doesnt work and if I choose no it still doesn't work lol.

Comment

Working...
          X