This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome trouble brewing, again

The Gnome devs are locking it down so custom themes will no longer work!

It's one size fits all, take it or leave it! Isn't there another OS that does that?

GNOME to prevent theming, wider community not happy
    https://www.osnews.com/story/133955/...ity-not-happy/
    Constant change is here to stay!

Interesting story. And several KDE users chimed in to extoll the virtues of KDE's customization. I have one niggle with them. KDE is not the desktop of the 90's. I first started using Qt in 2003, at the very tail end of Qt3. It's dev paradigm was using text boxes and dropdown combo boxes to choose options in the Qt Designer app, and then running qmake. It wasn't pretty and I was on the verge of looking for another dev tool when Qt4 came out. Qt4 used the standard C+ dev paradigm and the Designer was just a GUI designer, not a builder of the entire app. KDE 1.0 Apha came out in September of 1998, on SuSE 5.3. I switched from RH 5.0 to SuSE 5.3 and stayed with it until Novell bought it and then claimed Linux was using MS IP, in 2002. I've jumped distros but I've never jumped DE's. KDE has been and IS the #1 DE for the last 20 years.

Apparently GNOME developers are going to pull their DE back into their cave and roll a stone over the entrance to protect it and them.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Any colour you like as long as it's black, eh!
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

One of the follow-up links is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libad...2#note_1264626. It gets a bit spicy in this thread with a System76 person being accused of ungood behavior.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
        X