• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest SSD

See this?

Intel Optane SSD DC P5800X Review: The Fastest SSD Ever Made

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...a84e7dc248cdb6

U.2, 400 GB - 1.6TB, $1200-$3700 USD.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Impressive.

Compared to fastest NVME drive, 10x the price and 35-50% faster, Obviously not a consumer item...lol

I guess if you're uber-rich, why not?

Please Read Me

Comment

Not a consumer item indeed! I can buy 27 of these : Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)
      for the price of just one 800GB SSD from Intel.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

And someday, the technology in that drive will be common as bubble gum and some new, brilliant tech will take it's place at the top of the laugh track
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I wonder how many NVME PCIe 4.0 slots you'd need to RAID your way to that performance? 2 might even be enough. 4 would do it for sure.

Sort of related; I was looking at laptops, both as a possible desktop replacement and because one of my kids is also in the market and I discovered this: https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-...-gz700-series/

A whopping $7000 but what a machine! Maybe if I win the lottery...

Please Read Me

Comment

For 3 or 4 years I used a Heathkit Analog Computer to help teach physics and math. In 1974 I replaced that analog computer with an HP 65 programmable RPN calculator. It grew legs and walked away in 1977. That year I replaced it with a TI SR-52 programmable that could chain up to four magnetic strip cards that held about 225 programming steps each. The SR-52 also grew legs and took a hike on the last day of school in May of 1978. That summer I saw an ad by Team Electronics in Grand Island, NE about a new desktop computer called the Apple ][+. I spent every Saturday afternoon at the store teaching myself Apple BASIC. I ended up taking one home, along with two DISK ]['s and a 12" color TV and a panasonic 9-pin printer. I got it at cost if I would demonstrate it every Saturday or Sunday afternoon, which I did.

At the same time, there were a TON of desktop computers and computer kits being marketed, along with a variety of CPU's and operating systems. It wasn't clear, initially, which computer would win the market race. Eventually it was Apple and Radio Shack's computers.

The 6502 CPU in the Apple ][ ran at 1 MHz and gave 0.43 MIPS. It was so fast it appeared to be magic. I used the Apple UCSD Pascal language pack to write a program to plot a single Mandelbrot graph. It took the Apple and Pascal about 45 minutes to create one frame, a jpg. After 30 to 40 hours of compute time I had enough jpg's to create about 3 seconds of animation. I was amazed.

Today, my 2012 Acer Aspire V3-771G with an Intel i7-3960X can do 176,170 MIPS at 3.3 GHz. With a Mandelbrot Set pgm like fraqtive my computer can create hundreds of frames per second on my NVidia powered desktop.

However, performance aside, when I was selling Apple's to schools on evenings and weekends between 1978 and 1983 I was hearing about advances in the use of computers in the classroom, with such learning tools as Plato and the promise of AI in the classroom. Sadly, such advances never occurred. Besides selling Apples on the side I spent a lot of evenings teaching Apple Basic to teachers for college credit. Maybe 1% of the teaches took that skill and ran with it. Most merely used VisiCalc to computer class grades. Most Apples in the classroom were used to teach typing to girls and BASIC programming to college prep students. In 1997 I visited a rural school and the wrestling coach asked me to help him solve a problem. He was trying to print wrestling results using a program on the school's Apple ][ that could score and rank teams in a wrestling match but couldn't find a way to remove the original programmer's name and phone number from each page of the printout. It was a program I had written in 1979 and first ran at the Clarks Invitational Wrestling tournament, which hosted 16 teams in Central Nebraska. At the request of the State Athletic Commissioner I modified it to score and rank 248 teams in the 1979 Nebraska State Wrestling tournament. "What else do you do with this computer?", I asked. "Nothing", was the reply.

Today, the student gets a Chromebook, the office staff gets a Dell laptop and the teaching staff get a MacBook Air. They log into their portal, mount the Google Drive and join Google Classroom.

In the teaching area, the laptop is merely part of a teaching method which uses the laptop as a slide projector, movie projector, audio player, and as a means to learn how to run some commercial apps. From my POV the current use of laptops in the classroom is behind what I was doing with my Apple in the classroom in 1978-1983.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Franklin Ace 1000
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Working...
              X