This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timetable (CEST)
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

We are now at the start of the 4 month countdown to the release of Impish Indri.

For those who are using Impish, you should havel a similar summary of System Information as shown in the table below.

5 Month System 4 Months to go
      KDE Plasma Version 5.21.5 5.22
      KDE Frameworks Version 5.82.0 5.83
      QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
      Kernel Version 5.11.0-18-generic 5.11.0-20-generic
      Impish continues to have excellent stability even though I use Pre-release and Unsupported updates with the additional staging ppa's for plasma and frameworks.

Even with these repositories, the above System Information list is exactly the same that I have on my 21.04 system. I was expecting after the last month, I would see more divergence between the two systems, but that is not the case.

So I hope by the half way point of development, there is a greater difference with Kubuntu 21.04 even though we are living with the Covid-19 limitations on everyone.

Comment

As many would now realize, the Linux Kernel 5.13 has been released. For example , there is the article on https://news.itsfoss.com/linux-kernel-5-13-release/ which gives a summary of the new features.

For those who are interested in trying it out, I found that by adding
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/bootstrap
        it was possible to install Kernel Version 5.13.0-11-generic.

I have had it on my system for several days now and have not had any problems. In fact is is quite snappy. Hope all those interested in Kernel 5.13 have similar success as I have had.

Comment

It is already in Proposed, at least for Ubuntu. Will give Ku a try, just downloaded today's build.

Code:
          lsb_release -a && uname -r
          No LSB modules are available.
          Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
          Description:    Ubuntu Impish Indri (development branch)
          Release:    21.10
          Codename:    impish
          5.13.0-11-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
            It is already in Proposed, at least for Ubuntu. Will give Ku a try, just downloaded today's build.

Code:
            lsb_release -a && uname -r
            No LSB modules are available.
            Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
            Description:    Ubuntu Impish Indri (development branch)
            Release:    21.10
            Codename:    impish
            5.13.0-11-generic
            Thanks, that's great news. Looks like I jumped the gun using the bootstrap repository.

Comment

Kernel 5.13 Stable

July second, ISO is perfect. The new Kernel is in Proposed and the content is about the same as Gnome 40.2. Impish Indri runs very, very well. +1

Code:
              Operating System: Kubuntu 21.10
              KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.2
              KDE Frameworks Version: 5.83.0
              Qt Version: 5.15.2
              Kernel Version: 5.13.0-11-generic (64-bit)
              Kernel 5.14 was scheduled for 21.10, it should be out in about 8 weeks from now and the 1st release candidate will be available on July 11th.

All the best,

Comment

It is now 3 months to the release of Impish Indri.

We are now at the halfway point in the development of Imprish. For those who cope with many downloads, the reward is a very reliable and responsive system that is a pleasure to use.

I just hope none of you or your friends have caught Covid-19. I and my wife are fully vaccinated like the rest of the 12% of Australians. We had made plans to go to Queensland for a break near the Great Barrier Reef. Unfortunately due to the Covid quarantine requirements, we decided to cancel that and holiday at a local beach site. This is where I am now, fortunately I have excellent internet connection.

Now, for the record, the 3 Month status on my system is:

4 Month System 3 Months to go
                KDE Plasma Version 5.22 5.22.3
                KDE Frameworks Version 5.83 5.84
                QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
                Kernel Version 5.11.0-20-generic 5.13.0-12-generic
                The above System Information list is the same for all that I have on my 21.04 system with the exception of the Kernel Version. We now have the 5.13 kernel which gives excellent performance over the 5.11 kernel.

The above only gives a summary update. I have had updates to many other applications, all of which are working very well. This is a great system and a pleasure to use.
                Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 14, 2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Biggest problem wiith (k)ubuntu: boot-sector/grub ( EFI / NON-EFI )
                  20.04.2 is last working version with actual working <b> boot-sector/grub</b>
                  PLEASE add old "MS-Dos BIOS-boot partition" as installation option. for NON-EFI PC's ...
                  __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

*La Ventura (heavy metal band) Tumblr page:
                  http://laventurafan.tumblr.com

*My Twitter Page:
                  http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

*My Facebook page (Be my friend please )
                  http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

*My Google+ page (follow me please )
                  https://plus.google.com/111310545842863442992

Comment

I have been very impressed with 21.10 and its performance.

Unfortunately, I have just found a problem with LibreOffice Impress when it has an embedded video. The projected video is perfect but the problem is in the control screen which is illustrated in the image below. The control screen has the next slide box which should be blank and the image being displayed should be in the current slide box. I have a Graphics adapter AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL / 870.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Impress_Problem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	645188

On another Laptop with an Nvidia card, this problem does not exist and the embedded videos behave perfectly.

This problem does not exist with my 21.04 system which I have on the same Laptop. It does have the kernel 5.11.26. In an attempt to locate the source of this problem, I installed the kernel 5.11.0-20 on my 21.10 system. This kernel did not solve my problem. So I am beginning to suspect the problem is somewhere in the AMD or Radeon packages that I have installed.

Does anyone with an AMD Radeon graphics adaptor have this problem with embedded videos? I hope there is some simple solution to this problem.

Comment

It is now 2 months to the release of Impish Indri.

We are now on the home run in the development of Imprish. I have had lots of downloads lately and progress is going great!

I am currently on a short break in my state of South Australia and have been fully vaccinated for over a month now.

For the record, the 2 Month status on my system compared with 3 Months ago is:

3 Month System 2 Months to go
                      KDE Plasma Version 5.22.3 5.22.4
                      KDE Frameworks Version 5.84 5.85
                      QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
                      Kernel Version 5.13.0-12-generic 5.13.0-14-generic

The above System Information list is the same for all that I have on my 21.04 system with the exception of the Kernel Version. We now have advances in the 5.13 kernel which gives excellent performance over the 5.11 kernel.

The above only gives a summary update. I have had updates to many other applications and system related features, all of which are working very well. My outstanding problem is with LibreOffice Presentation which does not handle videos well and has been reported previously. As I have not had any replies to that post, I can only assume that many on this forum do not use this feature.
                      Last edited by NoWorries; Sep 06, 2021, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Over the last couple of days with pre-released updates selected, the system marks for removal:

network-manager
                        network-manager-pptp
                        plasma-nm

As I consider these packages essential for connecting to the network, I used Muon to unmark them so that the rest of the packages could be installed.

So for those who use the pre-released packages - be careful and don't let the system remove these packages.

Comment

About 2 days ago I found that the pre-released option on one of my Laptops no longer marked network apps for removal which was great to see.

My only problem was that on another Laptop with 21.10, it still gave the previously reported case of removing network apps? So today I decided to download the latest Impish iso and re-install. I installed the 415 pre-released updates and all my favourite applications and behold now there are no network applications listed for removal.

A big thank-you to the developers for fixing this problem!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            I have been very impressed with 21.10 and its performance.

Unfortunately, I have just found a problem with LibreOffice Impress when it has an embedded video. . . .
                            I have had this problem for some time now, even after zillions of updates!!

I decided to take the plunge and purge LibreOffice from my system using
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
                            I then followed this by a purge of all remaining leftover files. The final step was to install LibreOffice and it now is working perfectly. The LibreOffice Impish version is currently 7.2.1.2. I have just had LO updates for Hirsute to 7.1.6.2, so Impish is definitely ahead and is continuing to diverge in all areas from its birth condition about 5 months ago.

So I no longer have any problems with Impish and I hope all other users continue to be impressed with this new great and superb distribution.
                            Last edited by NoWorries; Sep 12, 2021, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Thank you for these updates. I'm tempted to release-upgrade early to get LO 7.2, the improvements in .xls 🤮 compatibility might help me a lot.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

It is now only 1 month to the release of Impish Indri.

I am still enjoying all the many updates to Imprish and thankfully my system is still as solid as a rock.

For the record, the 1 Month status on my system compared with 2 Months ago is:

2 Month System 1 Month to go
                                KDE Plasma Version 5.22.4 5.22.5
                                KDE Frameworks Version 5.85 5.86
                                QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
                                Kernel Version 5.13.0-14-generic 5.13.0-16-generic
                                The above table only gives a summary update. I have had updates to many other applications and system related features, all of which are working very well.

I am so confident in this system's stability that I use it most of the time. This weekend I will use LibreOffice Impress for a projection which includes images and embedded videos.
                                With the new Kernel, it gives me many hours on my Laptop when I use battery and my AMD video is faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X