This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GG wrote:

I subbed in every HS in the city I currently live in and the surrounding county. That turned out to be a big mistake. The numbers had flipped. 9 out of 10 kids weren't going to college and didn't even care about schoo
    Ya know that is just sad.

And I reminded me of another such sad situation.

The fellow who taught the ecology classes at my four year college was a "young buck with a fire under his tail" that had a fresh PhD in the "avian ecology" for which I helped him, it was in the exapansion of the SissorTail Flycatcher territory out of Texas. I actually was paid, as a lab assistant to drive a certain route every few days to look for the birds and count them.

Anyhow... a few years ago he wrote to his, few, lab assistants and asked us to meet him at an alumni meeting at the college and we were absolutely DUMBFOUNDED to hear the tale of what he, and his wife had done a few years after he got his PhD and had left the college.

He, and his wife, decided to go to Chicago and specifically get ONLY a job teaching high school biology in the "worst ghetto school" that Chicago had ... as an act of "trying to be of help to an underserved community".

He did not say this in a happy, or satisfied, way in any way...

We just sat there.

He finished by saying something to the effect of:

"it was the biggest mistake of my life. I spent 20 years there and accomplished nothing. Nothing was improved, the students did not care when I began and they did not care on my last day. It was a waste of my life and my wife's life."

That was, i think, about 1990.

Both stories are just so...sad...

woodthanksyouforrelatingitsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 12, 2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X