X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another browser off my list

Another browser off my list: Opera is owned by the Chinese:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...se-consortium/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

The KDE project could look at qutebrowser. But it works better with a version of Qt more recent than the one in Kubuntu 20.04.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Interesting read. Sale for $600 million! Didn't know a 10% browser is worth that amount. Also now the gutted Opera Norwegian company has Opera TV left which earns $616 million a year! Who would of thought.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

I tried it once a or so ago did not like the appearance.
        woodsmoke

Comment

Came across this browser https://itsfoss.com/viper-browser/ recently which runs nicely as an appimage. Fairly basic but it does work.

Comment

Interesting, and in my favorite app tool! Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT:
            Played with it for awhile. The popup config which appears when it first is run, or when settings haven't been changed, fails to allow one to finish it. However, the preferences option in the menu works perfectly.
            Bottom line: I like it!
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 11, 2021, 11:53 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
              Came across this browser https://itsfoss.com/viper-browser/ recently which runs nicely as an appimage. Fairly basic but it does work.
              Hi Worzel.

I have never actually run an appimage before!

I downloaded it, found the dingus in downloads, clicked it and it "just ran" !

I looked in the menu and it is not "in" Internet or anything like that so... dunno... I could build a menu item for it, which I have done many times before in other distros but... is it just supposed to "sit there" and you click it?

I moved it to a folder with the letter "a Viper" that I placed in "home / woodsmoke".

thanks for the linky though.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                Hi Worzel.

I have never actually run an appimage before!

I downloaded it, found the dingus in downloads, clicked it and it "just ran" !

I looked in the menu and it is not "in" Internet or anything like that so... dunno... I could build a menu item for it, which I have done many times before in other distros but... is it just supposed to "sit there" and you click it?

I moved it to a folder with the letter "a Viper" that I placed in "home / woodsmoke".

thanks for the linky though.

woodsmoke
                That's the beauty of AppImages! All you have to do to run them is click on them (If the execute permission is set). No need for root. access No local libraries are needed or used. If the app generates output it can be stored inside the AppImage or in a separate directory. If one wants do remove it all they have to do is delete the AppImage. It does NOT keep a service running in memory 24/7/365, even when you are not using the "store", like snap and flatpak do. What are they doing with all the time when you aren't actually using their stores? Analytics, Telemetry, or watching your logins and passwords? I have a folder in Downloads called AppImages. Currently I have 19 AppImages in that folder. I do, however, make a link in the Kubuntu menu system so I can run them without having to use Dolphin to click on them or use krunner.
                IOW, AppImages are my @1 goto for running apps, even those that are in the repository.

One can, if one wants, install an appimage daemon by running "appimagelauncher-lite.xyz install" and remove it by using the "uninstall" parameter. Here is a description of what it does:
                https://discourse.appimage.org/t/new...-the-system/87
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 12, 2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  That's the beauty of AppImages! All you have to do to run them is click on them (If the execute permission is set). No need for root. access No local libraries are needed or used.
                  IOW, AppImages are my @1 goto for running apps, even those that are in the repository.

One can, if one wants, install an appimage daemon by running "appimagelauncher-lite.xyz install" and remove it by using the "uninstall" parameter. Here is a description of what it does:
                  https://discourse.appimage.org/t/new...-the-system/87
                  Thankee GG, as usual you ARE the go to person!

I like the appimage thing in and of itself but the particular browser involved is something with which I have questions. A simple on being, if the devs want to stay away from Chrome why are the downloaders limited to ones that has the approval of Chrome. Why not others. Is the browser really a situation of "lets get new people used to not being able to download from YouTube while giving them a modicum of shiney new bauble in the form of "security". Dunno but it is curious.

Anyway, I really do like the appimage thing.

Another thing that came to mind is just "how complex an app could be successfully packaged or run from an appimage... like maybe LibreOffice? Is LO too initmately involved with other apps or whatever to be able to function properly? Not really a question, just a thinking point.

Hey, again, thanks for the info!
                  woody

Comment

Working...
                  X