Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new universal constant I think I have discovered.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ABANDONED] A new universal constant I think I have discovered.

And I do mean universal. It seems that everywhere I try and participate in , in terms of support and the like, I am just a human google-bot using the most basic and obvious (imo of course) search terms, and relaying the results.
    I need to stop that methinks.

Today, however was a good day. Helped someone out of a jam without searching for 'ubuntu how to foo' and other simple a** crap.
    I need to goof off more, and tinker. And rant less

Yes. More fun, less Googling. I too, find it frustrating how many don’t know how to use Google.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What if you need to use google to find out how to use google?

(other better search engines exist)

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post

Lol says the person with a nick the same ad the crappiest search engine. [emoji16][emoji14][emoji38][emoji2957]

Small g google I use as a generic term here.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Lol says the person with a nick the same ad the crappiest search engine. [emoji16][emoji14][emoji38][emoji2957]
          hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Yes. More fun, less Googling. I too, find it frustrating how many don’t know how to use Google.
            I do get the frustration people are faced with when searching, particularly if they include 'ubuntu' in the search string
            Many I feel may be using. in on our case, 'kubuntu' which is actually extremely useless for many to most searches, not involving Plasma or KDE related things. How is a newbie, or even some non-newbies, supposed to know this?

Comment

Regarding Google searches; can't speak to other search engines; "Kubuntu" isn't indexed; always comes back with 'did you mean Ubuntu?'. That is unfortunate, and I don't understand why that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Regarding Google searches; can't speak to other search engines; "Kubuntu" isn't indexed; always comes back with 'did you mean Ubuntu?'. That is unfortunate, and I don't understand why that is the case.
                It sure is indexed

oops lets try this again doh!

The 'did you mean Ubuntu?' is just a spelling suggestion, and an entirely reasonable one at that, as Ubuntu is searched far more often, probably by orders of magnitude.
                Last edited by claydoh; Nov 10, 2020, 02:35 PM. Reason: dang FF end this editor :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post

Interesting question - philosophically. But, in practical terms, way too many people think that there is a "way" to use (generic) google. In fact there is no "way" to use google. There are "ways" to use google better, more efficiently, more effectively.

But, for most people, it's easier to let someone else to chase google - and then consume.

Too many people are too lazy to type - something, anything - into a text box and hit the enter key. It's the easiest thing in the world. But, what I think they may actually be is too afraid to apply critical thinking to the answer that comes back - or to what they could have typed in, in the first place.

Type in the word "soup". I get 492,000,000 results, YMMV.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    Type in the word "soup". I get 492,000,000 results, YMMV.

Enter the query 'Ubuntu soup' and you get 793,239,941

Sorry, could not resist
                    it is really only a bit more than one million

Comment

From support.google.com:

Refine web searches

You can use symbols or words in your search to make your search results more precise.
                      • Google Search usually ignores punctuation that isn’t part of a search operator.
                      • Don’t put spaces between the symbol or word and your search term. A search for site:nytimes.com will work, but site: nytimes.com won’t.

Refine image searches

Overall Advanced Search

1. Go to Advanced Image Search.
                      2. Use filters like region or file type to narrow your results.
                      3. At the bottom, click Advanced Search.

Search for an exact image size

Right after the word you're looking for, add the text imagesize:widthxheight. Make sure to add the dimensions in pixels.
                      Example: imagesize:500x400

Common search techniques

Search social media

Put @ in front of a word to search social media. For example: @twitter.

Search for a price

Put $ in front of a number. For example: camera $400.
                      Search hashtags

Put # in front of a word. For example: #throwbackthursday
                      Exclude words from your search

Put - in front of a word you want to leave out. For example, jaguar speed -car
                      Search for an exact match

Put a word or phrase inside quotes. For example, "tallest building".
                      Search within a range of numbers

Put .. between two numbers. For example, camera $50..$100.
                      Combine searches

Put "OR" between each search query. For example, marathon OR race.

Search for a specific site

Put "site:" in front of a site or domain. For example, site:youtube.com or site:.gov.
                      Search for related sites

Put "related:" in front of a web address you already know. For example, related:time.com.

See Google’s cached version of a site

Put "cache:" in front of the site address.
                      Important: Not all search operators return exhaustive results.

Comment

The real issue may be simply that people don't know what to search for, or , in terms of Linux, are not sure of what queries to make.

My example of people searching for kubuntu specific results, when a general Ubuntu or Plasma related search is much more useful may highlight this.
                        Our historic fragmentation biting us in the butt here.

Comment

Enter the query 'Ubuntu soup' and you get 793,239,941

Sorry, could not resist
                          it is really only a bit more than one million
                          And the most important thing, is not so much the specific answer, but the opportunity to learn something.

I just learned there is an eatery in Napa CA named "Ubuntu". I'll probably never go there in that it's on the other side of the country from here, and their menu is not on my number 1 list, but it's a place that exists and people are actually doing something that others enjoy!
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

The real issue may be simply that people don't know what to search for, or , in terms of Linux, are not sure of what queries to make.

My example of people searching for kubuntu specific results, when a general Ubuntu or Plasma related search is much more useful may highlight this.
                            Our historic fragmentation biting us in the butt here.
                            True. But, in most cases, even Google will give the asker the choice to proceed to "Kubuntu", even if Google thinks you "really" meant Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                            X