Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.80 should be hitting proposed sometime in the next 24hrs. Just not as quick as usual, as at this time in the development cycle it meant applying for a freeze exception.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
      Code:
      Operating System: Kubuntu 21.04
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.3
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.80.0
      Qt Version: 5.15.2
      Kernel Version: 5.12.0-051200rc3daily20210318-generic
      OS Type: 64-bit
      Graphics Platform: X11
      All good except that FF 87.0 opens pretty slowly.
      I notice you have Kernel Version 5.12. I am wondering if FF 87.0 still runs slow if you boot with Kernel Version 5.11.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        I notice you have Kernel Version 5.12. I am wondering if FF 87.0 still runs slow if you boot with Kernel Version 5.11.
        No relation!

I've tried several things (LVM encrypted) with no success. A new install ext4 gives the same issue: FF boots in about 5-10 second.

Kernel 5.11 is now in the regular updates, + as Nick mentioned last night in post #91. kde-frameworks 5.80 is in Proposed alongside 209 packages. +12 now.

Hirsute is mature now and runs very well with Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
          No relation!

I've tried several things (LVM encrypted) with no success. A new install ext4 gives the same issue: FF boots in about 5-10 second.
          Sorry that you are still having trouble with FF 87.0. I have just tried FF 87.0 on my slowest laptop "ASUS R501VM N56VM" and it came up in about 2s using a stopwatch. I have 12 tabs in the FF that I used to test.

All I now suspect is that there is something with your FF that needs to be looked into. There are a number of sites that give advice on how to speed up FF and I don't know if you have tried this approach at all.

My big reluctance to change from FF is that many of my bookmarks have associated login information and I do not want to go through this with an alternative browser as I find FF great to use.

Comment

It is now just 1 month to go before the release of Hirsute Hippo.

This is an amazingly stable distribution and I continue to use it all the time. No doubt this is due to the great support by acheron and his associates as they oversea the porting of KDE to work on Kubuntu 21.04. Also, thank you for the superb updates from those working on KDE Plasma, Frameworks, Applications and Qt.

The progress over the past month is shown in the table below.

Last Month 1 Months to go
            KDE Plasma Version 5.21.0 5.21.2
            KDE Frameworks Version 5.79.0 5.80.0
            QT Version 5.15.2 5.15.2
            Kernel Version 5.10.0-14-generic 5.11.0-13-generic
            With the exception of QT Version, progress has been made in all other major areas. From acheron #91, we thankfully have Plasma Frameworks 5.80 even though we are in a freeze for new versions.

Every now and then after some Wayland updates, I try out on my HP Laptop with UHD displays. I still find that System Settings > Display and Monitor does not have any option to define a Primary Display. This still makes a LibreOffice Presentation totally unsatisfactory. There are other minor irritations that i have with Wayland that I won't mention here. So I do not think that Wayland will be suitable for use in the final release of 21.04.
            Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 05, 2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Really enjoying Hirsute!

Running Plasma 5.21.3 | Frameworks 5.80.0 | QT 5.15.2 | Kernel 5.11.7

About the only issues that I've had through the whole process have to do with Wine and my running Mainline Kernels. In other words, little to no issues from November through March with Hirsute!

Excellent Job to everyone involved!

***Side note for those who also enjoy playing in the Proposed, Mainline kernel arenas... I had a strange issue with the 5.12 RC4 kernel - not random reboots, but random power offs... Anyone else experience that issue that has tried RC4?

*** Also, I haven't experienced the slow load time on FF87 on the 5.11 kernels, not sure about the 5.12 due to the shut down issue I was having with RC4
              Last edited by MeMyself; Mar 24, 2021, 07:46 PM. Reason: Add FF87 comment

Comment

Originally posted by MeMyself View Post
                Really enjoying Hirsute!

Excellent Job to everyone involved!

***Side note for those who also enjoy playing in the Proposed, Mainline kernel arenas... I had a strange issue with the 5.12 RC4 kernel - not random reboots, but random power offs... Anyone else experience that issue that has tried RC4?

*** Also, I haven't experienced the slow load time on FF87 on the 5.11 kernels, not sure about the 5.12 due to the shut down issue I was having with RC4
                No, 5.12-rc4 has no bug all week. Shutdown is normal alongside Windows or entire disk space with secure boot enabled or not. ThinkPad Ryzen 2700.

Today's build works perfectly and contains all major updates. FF loads in the average now, we prefer Chrome-dev that loads turbo. I'm also enjoying KDE and Devs efforts to keep Kubuntu on top.

Expect Hippo wallpapers soon, already in Ubuntu.

Comment

2021 Grub2 secure boot bypass latest updates

For the record, 20210402

Code:
                  dpkg -l|grep grub-common

ii  grub-common                                                2.04-1ubuntu45                                                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)

dpkg -l|grep fwupd

ii  fwupd                                                      1.5.8-0ubuntu1                                                       amd64        Firmware update daemon
                  ii  fwupd-signed                                               1.38+1.5.8-0ubuntu1                                                  amd64        Linux Firmware Updater EFI signed binary
                  ii  libfwupd2:amd64                                            1.5.8-0ubuntu1                                                       amd64        Firmware update daemon library
                  ii  libfwupdplugin1:amd64                                      1.5.8-0ubuntu1                                                       amd64        Firmware update daemon plugin library
                  ii  plasma-discover-backend-fwupd                              5.21.3-0ubuntu1                                                      amd64        Discover software management suite - fwupd backend

dpkg -l|grep grub-efi-amd64-bin

ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin                                         2.04-1ubuntu45                                                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 modules)

dpkg -l|grep linux-firmware

ii  linux-firmware                                             1.196                                                                all          Firmware for Linux kernel drivers

dpkg -l | grep  fwupd-signed

ii  fwupd-signed                                               1.38+1.5.8-0ubuntu1                                                  amd64        Linux Firmware Updater EFI signed binary
                  No change there yet:

Code:
                  dpkg -l | grep shim-signed

ii  shim-signed                                                1.45+15+1552672080.a4a1fbe-0ubuntu2                                  amd64        Secure Boot chain-loading bootloader (Microsoft-signed binary)

Comment

I have two Laptops with Kubuntu 21.04. One is a 9 year old AUSU with an NVIDIA card and the other is a 2 1/2 year old HP Spectra with an AMD video card and HD graphics. Both have external monitors with the HP having a UHD monitor.

The ASUS System Settings > Display Configuration works perfectly in the relative positions and the resolution of both displays is HD.

The HP SPectra with the UHD screens does not lend itself to getting the relative positions other than by trial and error.

I hope this problem is easy to fix as UHD monitors are now more frequent and for 21.04 to only work on old hardware is not good press.
                    I am pleased to report that the problem I had with not being able to align my UHD Laptop to my UHD external monitor so that they are adjacent to each other using Display Configuration other than by trial and error is now fixed. Thank you very much.

Today I also had about 200 updates for KDE Frameworks which is now at version 5.81.0. it has a few rough edges which I can get around. So for the brave ones on this forum you can get is by using http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...eworks/ubuntu/ hirsute main.

Comment

it has a few rough edges which I can get around.
                      What rough edges?
                      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Initially I was getting applications such as Discover and LibreOffice being on the edge of the screen and I had to use More Actions > Move to locate then so that I could use them. I have just tried them again and they are doing the right action when launched.

The most annoying problem that I am currently experiencing is the LibreOffice Properties panel. If I try to adjust its width, a left and right arrow appear on the cursor and the desktop crashes - nothing responds. The only way out that I have found is to use the power button to turn the Laptop off and start again.

A minor frustration, which is not in any way related to Frameworks 5.81, is that I cannot set the small image graphic above the password. It is there when I logout but not there on reboot. I have my graphic in the home directory files .face and .face.icon. I cannot find any location in System Settings to define this graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                          What rough edges?
                          As I cannot currently get onto page 11 of this thread, I would like to point out that the problem with adjusting the width of the LibreOffice Properties panel only occurs on my UHD system. My ASUS with HD graphics works as it should.

Comment

A minor frustration, which is not in any way related to Frameworks 5.81, is that I cannot set the small image graphic above the password. It is there when I logout but not there on reboot. I have my graphic in the home directory files .face and .face.icon. I cannot find any location in System Settings to define this graphic.
                            Possibly related to some of the home directory default permission changes that Ubuntu wanted to make for this release. e.g. perhaps sddm cannot access the faces files now.

Comment

As I cannot currently get onto page 11 of this thread, I would like to point out that the problem with adjusting the width of the LibreOffice Properties panel only occurs on my UHD system. My ASUS with HD graphics works as it should.
                              I firstly tried purging all LibreOffice office and also removing all related packages. By reinstalling LibreOffice again it made no difference.

I finally unchecked the Pre-released Updates option in Muon and repeated the purge and reinstallation of LibreOffice. This solved my crashing problem with LibreOffice when I try to move the Properties panel. It also solved another problem that I had with the LibreOffice expanded menus not located under the item being selected.

So I can now use LibreOffice with confidence on my UHD system.

Comment

As I cannot currently get onto page 11 of this thread, ...
                                Is this still the case for you? I can get to all pages of this thread, and not being able to isn't unique to specific members. When it happens, it happens to everyone (and can be fixed, if I'm told about it).
                                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X