X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sicky McSickface

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post

Re: massive fever: This is a day and age when we cannot afford to get sick! Prevention is a must. When I was a kid I had colds perhaps ten times year. I found out I had a weakness for respiratory illnesses. This current bug is an engineered item based upon one of the four common corona viruses most of us already have known by our immune system. It is said (I am not a doctor) that most people are deficient in vitamin D, C and Zinc because we don't get enough in food these days. It is said (from a source I could pass along) that no one who has enough vitamin D, C and Zinc in their system will succumb to the corona bugs. Despite this claim I find I have to do even more to stay well. I will share more only if you are interested - perhaps in a PM since this is obviously off topic. I wish you well!

-=Ken=-
    I will go get tested tomorrow if I am not so queasy. I live alone, and don't drive a car so it is either a bicycle or my motor scooter. Plus it is has been raining all day so far. Only a minor fever now, though so tomorrow I'll set something up.
    Been taking various vitamins and the like for some time now (pre-covid), particularly D3 and C, not sure how much zinc I get from my multi, though.

I just discovered grocery delivery is actually reasonably priced here. Maybe too reasonable?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 24, 2020, 11:10 AM.

SO any update Claydoh? I certainly hope all's well!
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      SO any update Claydoh? I certainly hope all's well!
      Well.........
      Covid scare turned into a case of cellulitis on the right leg which then was exacerbated by what I thought was a bad case of gout in the left knee. Which ended up being a massive arthritic infection instead. I went to the ER on the 2nd. Due to get discharged today.

I can walk using a walker but it us still a chore especially with the infected knee being stronger than the "good" knee in many cases

This puts off my knee replacements for a year supposedly and I was just nearing my BMI goal to be able to have them done.

Oh I tested negative for Covid.

Sorry for the thread hijack ken!
      Will see about splitting this off unless someone beats me to it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Get well, rest up, be a compliant patient, and continue to lower that BMI!

Please Read Me

Comment

Of course I was a model patient
          I can't overstate how friendly and attentive the entire staff was. Even the torture masters physical therapists.
          Back home now, and it is taking me some time to get used to the silence, and back to being on my own. Recovery is going to take a while.

Comment

Wish you all the best. Get well soon!

Comment

Be good claydoh! As a guy who has been through hip replacement be good to yourself, and do your physical therapy. Move as much as you can everyday. And be good to whoever around you wants to help - unless it interferes with your path to independence

I hope your recovery is good and fast as your joints will permit!
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

My wife had a Titanium hip joint replacement about three years ago. About two years ago she had a Titanium humerus replacement. Both were caused by falls. She gets around very nicely with no pain but an occasional ache as the weather changes. Two built-in barometers! Her hip scar looks like it was the result of a gunshot wound. She has a long scar on the inside of her upper arm.

Bothered by the silence? Do a YouTube search for Amira Willighagen and listen to the angelic sounds of classical opera! She started at 9 years old on Holland's Got Talent and won it. She is self taught using YT videos of old opera singers. Amazing. As she's gotten older (16 now and with several Master's Classes) she's evolved from fantastic to unbelievable.

Glad you didn't have C19.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To be honest I probably would have been better off having Covid, really. IMO of course. The vast majority of cases require no hospitalization and probably much less downtime (three weeks hospital and at least 6 weeks before I can even think about going back to my day job). Less pain. Fewer meds. No surgery that gave me a big dead zone on my heel via nerve damage. Would not have put off my knee replacements.

Of course there is always that chance, and hindsight is, well hindsight, so coulda woulda shouldas don't make things better lol.

I do wish it had been in my right knee. I'd probably barely be using a walker by now.

Comment

Indeed. For 99.98% of the people it is a disease you need to be tested for to find out if you have it. They did an RCT sampling of adjacent zipcodes in Chicago and found that 20% of the population already had immunity against C19. A similar study in San Bernidino county in California found 87% (iirc) had the anti-bodies to C19.

And, over a dozen randomized clinical trials (RCTs) since MERS in 2005 has shown that cloth masks allow 98% of virons through, which means they are worthless for preventing the spread of C19. The only RCT to "prove" cloth masks effective was later withdrawn because, as I understand it, they did a meta-study (a study of studies, not a real experimental test) cherry picked the papers they included.

That written, Claydoh, be careful because C19 is lethal to anyone with "existing medical conditions" (co-morbidities) such as you have. This is especially true for those over 65. The most affected group is 85+, but they'd most likely die of old age during the last year anyway. The following CDC graph, showing weekly deaths ending August 22nd, shows that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CDC_COVID_20200822.png
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	644894

Notice that the deaths for folks under 25 are near zero and those that do occur are usually also the result of co-morbidities. It also shows the "2nd wave" beginning in August, which is unusual for a flu-like virus. Usually the 2nd wave begins in October or November, which is when flu shots are traditionally given.

The real puzzle now is that while PCR testing, using almost twice the normal cycles, shows an increasing rate of infections, the new daily deaths remains flat-lined in the grass. IF the new cases are real and not the result of a hyped up test, then is shows that C19 is losing its virility as time passes. Here in my county of Lancaster, Ne, testing is revealing up to 1,000 new cases every day but the 7 day moving average of daily deaths are oscillating around 3 deaths per day, and have been since March. A pandemic that isn't.

I'm 79 with Persistent AFib. My wife is 77 with two heart surgeries and pulmonary hypertension. We don't have access to N95 masks (which allow up to 8% of C19 through) and cloth masks being worthless, we stay home and do most of our shopping online or through Amazon.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 24, 2020, 12:21 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Well...
                      Covid scare turned into a case of cellulitis on the right leg which then was exacerbated by what I thought was a bad case of gout in the left knee. Which ended up being a massive arthritic infection instead. I went to the ER on the 2nd. Due to get discharged today.

I can walk using a walker but it us still a chore especially with the infected knee being stronger than the "good" knee in many cases

This puts off my knee replacements for a year supposedly and I was just nearing my BMI goal to be able to have them done.

Oh I tested negative for Covid.

Sorry for the thread hijack ken!
                      Will see about splitting this off unless someone beats me to it.

No apologies necessary, claydoh. The change in "venue" seems appropriate.

In view of your ailments you manage to respond to quite a few cries for computer help and I, for one, am appreciative of your time. I am 72 yo now and in the recent year had a stroke. I am also thankful for the medical professionals that, most of the time, do wonders on these aging bodies.

However, I am aware of alternative therapies - often times suppressed - which can be effective. It is surprising what alternatives you can find on the Internet. For instance, my wife has had a problem with arthritis - rheumatiod, I think - and we found out that whenever she had to use an antibiotic the arthritis symptoms went away. After a couple of weeks, after using up the antibiotics, the arthritis symptoms would return. We discovered that something called a "zapper" would make the symptoms disappear for a few days! I don't know if this would help you but I think sharing our experiences might be useful to you and others. I'm not a doctor but I am capable of doing my own research. And I only share here to give you and others the idea to do the same.

Blessings,

-=Ken=-
                      -=Ken=-
                      "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
                      DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Here in my county of Lancaster, Ne, testing is revealing up to 1,000 new cases every day but the 7 day moving average of daily deaths are oscillating around 3 deaths per day
                        That seems high, compared to Chatham county, which is a bit larger than yours. Our cases seem lower, deaths maybe about the same, to lower. We've gone some days without deaths this week iirc.
                        I think the numbers are s****y, deaths are deaths, and unnecessary. C0-morbidities do not mean that covid did not cause the deaths, and is sometimes a smokescreen. The real stat is that 200k more people have died this year than normal. We don't seem to grasp that number here in the US. I know I don't, sometimes, when looking at all the stats.

but im done on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                          No apologies necessary, claydoh. The change in "venue" seems appropriate.

In view of your ailments you manage to respond to quite a few cries for computer help and I, for one, am appreciative of your time. I am 72 yo now and in the recent year had a stroke. I am also thankful for the medical professionals that, most of the time, do wonders on these aging bodies.

However, I am aware of alternative therapies - often times suppressed - which can be effective. It is surprising what alternatives you can find on the Internet. For instance, my wife has had a problem with arthritis - rheumatiod, I think - and we found out that whenever she had to use an antibiotic the arthritis symptoms went away. After a couple of weeks, after using up the antibiotics, the arthritis symptoms would return. We discovered that something called a "zapper" would make the symptoms disappear for a few days! I don't know if this would help you but I think sharing our experiences might be useful to you and others. I'm not a doctor but I am capable of doing my own research. And I only share here to give you and others the idea to do the same.

Blessings,

-=Ken=-
                          Much appreciated!

I have osteoarthritis, and both knees have essentially zero cartilage left, plus the usual deformations in the joints.

I do suffer from gout, despite not eating things that are known to exacerbate the uric acid crystal formations. A non-standard treatment I've found is, besides drinking significant amounts of water, is to also drink ...tart cherry juice, if caught very early. No super-concentrated drops from the supplements aisle, nor the pills with extracts, but straight up juice. Fresh tart cherries seem hard to come by, have not tried those. Seems to help, and is tasty af to boot

The common 'drug' for treatment, cholchisine, is actually a derivative of the flower that saffron comes from. Used to be available as an OTC supplement some years ago, but it does have side effects if overdone.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            That seems high, compared to Chatham county, which is a bit larger than yours. Our cases seem lower, deaths maybe about the same, to lower. We've gone some days without deaths this week iirc.
                            I think the numbers are s****y, deaths are deaths, and unnecessary. C0-morbidities do not mean that covid did not cause the deaths, and is sometimes a smokescreen. The real stat is that 200k more people have died this year than normal. We don't seem to grasp that number here in the US. I know I don't, sometimes, when looking at all the stats.

but im done on this topic.
                            A lot don't grasp it or the science. This isn't my first rodeo. In 1958 as a JR in HS we experienced a flu pandemic that killed 116,000 people, equivalent to 232,000. We didn't do any face masking, social distancing, business and factory shutdowns causing millions to lose their job and source of income. But, it was a great time for petty tyrants to flex unconstitutional mandates to see how compliant people would be. Pretty compliant it seems. Sheepish, in fact. Causes me to doubt that we are still the "land of the free and home of the brave". As tyrants flex their muscles it will only get worse, "for your own good", of course. No problem for me, though, because I probably won't be around.

Comment

This isn't my first rodeo. In 1958 as a JR in HS we experienced a flu pandemic that killed 116,000 people, equivalent to 232,000. We didn't do any face masking, social distancing, business and factory shutdowns causing millions to lose their job and source of income.
                              You are kinda proving my point that a decent slice of people in this country don't give a s*** about large numbers of deaths, from any cause. Y'all are just drinking a different flavor of the kool-aid .

Now I gotta close this before I say something offensive and rude.

Comment

Working...
                              X