This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEON vs Xfce

not really a 'distribution showdown" so if a moderator wants to move it feel free.

However, I happened to run across a comparison of KDE and Xfce because there is now a distro that has both "Xfce" and KDE ...AS A DESKTOP...how they combined i dunno but that led me to finding this article that basically says...

NEON and Xfce have about the SAME resource useage and that Neon could surpass Xfce at being "less bloated"...woah!

If this has been posted at some previous time, I could not find it in search, please delete.

From Forbes Oct 2019 .

These Xfce Versus KDE Numbers https:////www.forbes.com/sites/jason.../#380b9ca526d2Reveal A Shocking Surprise About Linux Desktop Environments

I DO NOT like the use of the word shocking EVERYPLACE nowadays but that is the title.

woodsmoke

This is a long-known thing, tbh. Maybe not major news, but at as far back as 2016-ish or 2017. I could probably dig up my own posts in various places, but my batteries are both dying lol. (I'll look later)

Plasma itself is light on the CPU, comparable to Xfce. This of course is before you factor in the file indexing or Akonadi via Kontact, as well as any other services a distro might add.

Now, Plasma does use the GPU for all the eye candy. Most low end systems of fairly recent vintage usually have enough graphical chops to handle things well, but seriously older systems might not do so well without disabling the compositor.

Comment

Why would you want 2 desktops?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
        Why would you want 2 desktops?
        I don't think anything here proposes that, though it is not at all uncommon at all, especially for new users.
        What woody here is taking about is that Ubuntu provides a decent selection of desktops via Ubuntu (gnome), Kubuntu (plasma), Xubuntu (Xfce), Lubuntu (Lxqt). One distro, multiple desktops.

It can be easier for some to try out different desktops to see what they might like, without having to have a completely separate OS install or use virtual machines. Especially since the OS itself underneath is identical.

Some keep a super light window manager (not a complete desktop necessarily) like Fluxbox to have an 'emergency' GUI desktop

Sometimes it is Just Because You Can

Another small reason is laziness and/or the difficulty in removing an unwanted desktop. My example here would be Chromebooks running Gallium OS, which as a Xubuntu respin featuring CB specific kernels and support. I like Plasma, and don't have much use for Xfce, so when I ran this on a Chromebook, I would then install plasma-desktop on it , but leave Xfce simple because it is extremely difficult to remove an entire desktop environment on *buntu systems, and simply not worth the time and effort.
        Last edited by claydoh; Oct 20, 2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

My two favorite desktops, in order are KDE and XFCE. I use KDE on my machines. I set up XFCE (Linux Mint) for my mom and my son.

They are light weight, simple and easy to configure. GNOME and it's overweight brothers (CInnamon, Deepin, unity and the like) went of the deep end years ago.

OTOH, if you look at the article, the memory usage is between 500 and 800mb, and my machines are all specced with 8 to 32gb of ram. Do I really care?

Comment

Hi all.
            these have been interesting responses and if anyone else wants to chime in feel free to so do.
            woodsmoke

Comment

Naw, I think we are basically done here. Anything more may just be beating a dead horse

j/k of course

Comment

Working...
              X