X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD or Intel Boot Shutdown UEFI optimizations

Perfect timing for weekend reading, and maybe you already have it,

Which PC Boots Up and Shuts Down Faster: AMD or Intel?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...vnDE96MBvrGee6

The summary is good, if you are short on time. I only had time, so far this morning, to skim this well-written analysis. Covers Windows and Linux.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Not sure what that would matter

I was never so happy as the day I first fired up my PC from an SSD. That's what matters
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Yeah, going back to the old days, you know, like 2005, I still stick with Intel, chicken superstition, I guess. Also Linux. Also I keep my PC on all the time. Re-boots (upon kernel updates etc.) are so fast anyway, who cares! Now, if you are on Windows, whoa, you might care, e.g., on re-boots after updates taking forrrrrevvvverrrrr...............
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Not to start a "war" on OSes, but really after all these years, MS Windows even on an SSD takes forever to load and don't get me started on updates. I really don't understand how their OS still makes the grade with everyone and the poor performance they offer.

Comment

I know that. I work from home, and the gov't work laptop is Windows 10 and a moderately capable HP. The poor thing really struggles, even on a 500Mbps internet pipe.

I don't have physical desk space to keep it on 24/7, so when updates happen it's during business hours, there goes another 30 - 60 minutes lost. Boot up and complete connection via VPN so I could access all the network drives remotely used to take anywhere from 45 minutes to as much as 3 hours - some of that was on me since I was still using DSL. When I got the ISP's better pipe, that sped up quite a bit, and by the time the AF was able to optimize some new VPN connections, it's down to about 10 minutes total - for boot to complete connection.

But that did nothing for update speed, except to make the laptop more accessible to the centrally controlled updates
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
          X