X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A strong argument for using USB sticks

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...physical-media
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Related: https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ic-workaround/
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Bookstores still exist.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

My DVD drive still works.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Great information! Very glad I still use DVD's and Blueray's!

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            Interesting article. It is 180 degrees opposite to the article I linked to. Elizabeth Dwoskin's take can be summed up by one quote in her article:
            These services have more limited systems for policing content compared with the major social media platform
            A better word to describe what the corporations are doing is "censoring".

The trend for PC makers to NOT include CDROM's as part of their standard configuration, making it a side option, means that many folks no longer have a device to read or write CD's & DVD's unless they opt to include one when they purchase their PC or they purchase one from a 3rd party. When I removed my CDROM and replaced it with an HDCaddy so I could add an additional bay for another SSD I also purchased a USB CDROM from Amazon for $15. It works perfectly. Today, using USB 3.0, they are about twice as expensive. USB 2.0 CDROM's require two USB ports to supply sufficient power to drive the device. USB 3.0 CDROM's require only one 3.0 port.

However, CD's and DVD's are limited to 800 Mb or 4 GB, respectively, which isn't much storage in today's environment. USB sticks have grown considerably in size and one can now purchase a 256GB USB 3.0 memory stick for the same money as a USB CDROM. That's why the title of this thread is "A Strong Argument for using USB sticks".
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I also have dual-dvd disks which is 8gb, and I'm now looking for blue-ray dvd's.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
              X