Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kernel update tools not listing newer kernels.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel update tools not listing newer kernels.

I'm finding that my various package management tools, UKUU, Muon, Synaptic, do NOT offer the newer kernel versions.
    When I look a kernel.ubuntu.org, I can see that, for instance, kernel version 5.7.5 has been released.

Can someone offer either an explanation or a workaround to get those package manager to offer the newer kernel releases?

Perhaps they are missing a repository? I think I have all necessary repositories enabled, but maybe not?

Note that I am running kernel 5.7.1, so that IS being recognized by the above package managers.

My signature lists my current configuration.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Synaptic, apt, etc can only show packages from whatever apt repos you have (stock) plus whatever extra ones you have added to your sources (PPAs)

ukuu is different, it gets its files from ubuntu mainline kernel archive, which is not an apt repo at all. It used to be a PPA a long time ago.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

So, there is no repo to add to get the mainline builds via a package manager. If ukuu is not working, perhaps that program is broken, or you have come across a bug in it.

Comment

I'm suspecting the bug in UKUU. I think the developer is NOT doing updates to the GPL version, since he has moved to paid release.

Muon and Synaptic, to my mind, should at least offer the option of moving to a newer kernel, ie. one which is beyond the main kernel that was part of the release. For Kubuntu 20.04, I believe that is kernel 5.4.x

Before anyone jumps on me for this, I AM aware that I can always use the CLI and install a kernel from the .deb files. I just wondered why the GUI tools don't offer later kernel versions.

This is not a serious problem, just a curiosity...

[edit] removed double negative on the developer updating UKUU. He is NOT, so far.
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jun 23, 2020, 05:30 PM.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        I just wondered why the GUI tools don't offer later kernel versions.
        There simply is no apt repository for the mainline kernels.

Synaptic and Muon are simply GUI front ends to Apt, , so there is no way for them, or apt, to know anything about the mainline kernels as there is no specially configured archive that contains the debs, plus all the metadata needed for package and dependency management.

Comment

Now that UKuu is paid, what tool is best to try out kernels not in the repos?

Comment

I'm suspecting the bug in UKUU. I think the developer is NOT doing updates to the GPL version, since he has moved to paid release.

Muon and Synaptic, to my mind, should at least offer the option of moving to a newer kernel, ie. one which is beyond the main kernel that was part of the release. For Kubuntu 20.04, I believe that is kernel 5.4.x

Before anyone jumps on me for this, I AM aware that I can always use the CLI and install a kernel from the .deb files. I just wondered why the GUI tools don't offer later kernel versions.

This is not a serious problem, just a curiosity...

[edit] removed double negative on the developer updating UKUU. He is NOT, so far.
            i assumed that he no longer maintained the last open version.
            i also assume a fork would happen. Plus there are other tools available....

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
            Now that UKuu is paid, what tool is best to try out kernels not in the repos?

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/1...kernel-in.html

But to be honest, it is very easy to grab the files from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
            The only 'hard' part is learning which files you need to get for a particular kernel
            https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Mainl...pstream_kernel

Comment

@claydoh, thanks for the links to other tools.

I've installed the Mainline utility. It looks exactly like the UKUU utility which makes me think it is a fork from UKUU. But, it also does not report newer kernels as being available...

I agree with your statement

But to be honest, it is very easy to grab the files from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
              The only 'hard' part is learning which files you need to get for a particular kernel
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Mainl...pstream_kernel
              I'm resisting using the CLI to do this, which is why my original post asks about a GUI utility... Still no joy on this...

None-the-less, thank you for your help on this, it is appreciated.

Comment

And the reason for the missing kernels seem like a recent bug
                https://github.com/bkw777/mainline/issues/43

Comment

Ah ha! Finally a possible reason appears. Thanks @claydoh!

Comment

Mainline isn't half bad. It has a command line interface that's really easy to use. I might try to install 5.7 to see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                      Mainline isn't half bad. It has a command line interface that's really easy to use. I might try to install 5.7 to see how it works out.
                      I've been running 5.7.1 for about a week now - no issues thus far.

Comment

This morning, in my daily system update process, I noted that Mainline was updated.

When I ran Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer, it DID show the latest kernel point releases. I've now moved to Kernel version 5.7.7 and it seems to run ok. I'll post if I find any problems.

I note that UKUU DID NOT update and still does not show these newer kernel point releases. I don't run the paid version of UKUU and I can't speak for whether it has or has not been updated.

Comment

This morning, in my daily system update process, I noted that Mainline was updated.

When I ran Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer, it DID show the latest kernel point releases. I've now moved to Kernel version 5.7.7 and it seems to run ok. I'll post if I find any problems.

I note that UKUU DID NOT update and still does not show these newer kernel point releases. I don't run the paid version of UKUU and I can't speak for whether it has or has not been updated.
                          I'm glad I read your post, it made me realize I hadn't reactivated the Mainline repository after updating to 20.10. Everything is set now and I'm running 5.7.8-050708 and all is well thus far.

Comment

Same here, Kernel 5.7.8 just came down and it seems to be working fine...

Comment

Same here, Kernel 5.7.8 just came down and it seems to be working fine...
                              COmpositor crashed after installing it. Had to reboot and manually re-enable desktop effects. Glitch?

Comment

Working...
                              X