This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Moon Spotted

Guess what, guys? We've got a second moon after all!

You don't believe me!? Very well, then go read the article recently published by the BBC! :O

Second moon spotted by astronomers
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51657682

Read it before it gets outdated! XD
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

IMO, FWIW, calling rocks, even large ones, "moons" is misleading. IMO Mars has no moons; Phobos and Deimos are far too small to be called moons. If it's too small for gravity to make it roughly round, it's some kind of rock, not a moon; I'd draw the line at Mimas.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

In the text of the article they explain it's not really a moon

Please Read Me

Comment

Ya, it's just a rock about 1M in diameter.
        Those rocks can have interesting orbits. Here's one that has been observed for a century:

Even the Earth's orbit is more complex than most people realize:
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 03, 2020, 04:48 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, if dwarf planets do exist, Pluto is one of them, why not mini moons?

I do think that disregarding those moons mentioned here is a bit ironical since humanity has launched thousands of satellites. Even if a rock orbits a planet, it's become a satellite, thus a moon. Just saying.
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Even a few asteroids have been observed as having a moon. A moon (as distinguished from the specific object called "the Moon") is a natural satellite of another object. So a man-made satellite is not a moon, but a piece of rock (round or any other shape) may be a moon if it is traveling around another object. An object in orbit around a star has a different name.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              An object in orbit around a star has a different name.
              Yeah, that would be Elon Musk's spacefaring Tesla Roadster.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, and it ran out of gas before it could get to Jupiter ...
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  Yeah, and it ran out of gas before it could get to Jupiter ...
                  That would have been a true ride of a lifetime!
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                    That would have been a true ride of a lifetime!
                    AND, It has achieved a fuel economy of 8,378.1 miles per gallon!
                    https://www.whereisroadster.com/
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

And considering that it's an ALL ELECTRIC car, that MPG is impressive.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        And considering that it's an ALL ELECTRIC car, that MPG is impressive.
                        You haven't seen anything yet! Because that MPG is based on the fuel used to launch Starman into orbit, it can only increase as Starman continues to orbit the Sun. Right now he's made 1.3 orbits.

Comment

Working...
                        X