This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But is there any need to resize it?
    I did not touch the file, and the icon scales itself to whatever size it's needed for, the dock, the panel, the app window...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      I did not touch the file, and the icon scales itself to whatever size it's needed for, the dock, the panel, the app window...
      Let's see. I'm looking at Kate's icon in:

1 Favorites section of the launcher (Application Menu or Application Dashboard)
      2 Utilities section of the launcher (Application Menu or Application Dashboard)
      3 The titlebar of a file opened in Kate
      4 Icons-only task manager
      5 Dolphin's context menu

So, as I found earlier, just pointing to the downloaded icon in KDE Menu Edit fixes 3, 4, and 5. No need for scaling or editing of anything. So you're right in that.

But 1 and 2 now have a plain white icon or a hollow icon (circled in red) whereas previously they had the original Kate icons.
      Attached Files
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
        That raises the question of why the breeze icon theme (and other icon themes) have distinct subfolders such as 16, 22, 32, 48, and 64. It's all quite confusing!
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I guess it's a "just in case" structure.
          Breeze doesn't seem to have anything but SVGs, but other icon folders, such as hicolor, locolor, etc. have a lot of pngs.

A funny thing I just discovered: in /usr/share/icons/ there is a generate-icons.sh.
          The last line (commented out) is
          # rsvg-convert -w "$res" -h "$res" AppImageLauncher_inkscape.svg > hicolor/"$fullres"/apps/AppImageLauncher.png

[Edit] Funny how habits are. I just wanted to copy the last line in the .sh (which I had open in Kate, minimised).
          I scanned the taskbar, went, where the woozles is Kate, I could swear I had it opened... ah, of course, it's that blue hammer-and-sickle thing. Cilly me :·)
          It won't take me long to get used to it, but I don't seem to quite have yet.
          Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jan 28, 2020, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I don't know if there is a "need" to rescale the icons. My decision was based on what I observed - the default icons are set at the pixel size for which they are labeled, 16x16 means 16 pixels square, etc. It took a whole 10-15 minutes so whatever.

As far as how I did it, I used Inkscape, reset the image size and the layers, then saved it in each size, where applicable in both svg and png.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I don't know if there is a "need" to rescale the icons. My decision was based on what I observed - the default icons are set at the pixel size for which they are labeled, 16x16 means 16 pixels square, etc. It took a whole 10-15 minutes so whatever.

As far as how I did it, I used Inkscape, reset the image size and the layers, then saved it in each size, where applicable in both svg and png.
              When I changed the height to 16 the width changed to 18. When I changed the width to 16 the height changed to 18. Did yours do that?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

This is not about the new icon!

I'm posting oshunluvr's list below.

In 20.04, the breeze-dark svgs are links to the breeze svgs. I did not look at the hicolor icons or at the ones in /var/lib. The only ones I considered are those in bold.

/usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kate.svg

/usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/16/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/22/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/32/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/64/kate.svg
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/kate.png
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kate.png
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/kate.png
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/kate.png
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/kate.png
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/kate.png
                /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/kate.svgz
                /var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-focal-universe/128x128/kate_kate.png
                /var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-focal-universe/48x48/kate_kate.png
                /var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-focal-universe/64x64/kate_kate.png

I gave more distinctive colors to
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/kate.svg >>> red
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22/kate.svg >>> green
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/kate.svg >>> blue
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/kate.svg >>> purple
                /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kate.svg >>> orange

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200129125055.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	644562

emptied icon cache, rebooted and now see the following usage for the various kate.svg icons:

Dolphin's context menu "red=16"
                Application Menu > Utilities "red=16"
                Icons-only task manager "green=22"
                Kate's titlebar "green=22"
                Application Menu > Favorites > "blue=32"
                Application Dashboard "purple=48"

I don't see /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kate.svg being used. And I don't know where the hicolor icons (png or svg) figure in Kate's case.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

FYI, on my system at least, the breeze-dark icons are links to the breeze icons, so no need to replace both sets.

GG: I opened the downloaded original svg file, resized the "document" via File > Document Properties. I changed the measurement to pixels, set the document at 128x128. Then I selected the "layer" and before resizing it, locked the ratio. Then I manually reduced the size of the layer until it fit within the document borders. Then I saved it as svg and exported it as png - repeat for each size. I have no idea if it's actually necessary, but it was an experiment anyway so I didn't care.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X