X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate's new icon

https://kate-editor.org/post/2020/20...new-kate-icon/

I downloaded it to ~/Downloads and used KDE Menu Editor to use it instead of the previous one.

It shows up in the task manager and in the titlebar

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126182208.png
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	649585

But the old icon is still in the launcher.

Name:	20200126182829.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	649586

How can I fix that? This doesn't help
    Last edited by chimak111; Jan 26, 2020, 07:11 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Maybe either flushing your Icon cache or check the theme you're using and see if the kate icon is in there

Please Read Me

Comment

Very pretty. I got it.
      As soon as I edited the application icon, both the window and Latte Dock started using it.

In the launcher, it's still the old one.
      I deleted .cache/icon-cache.kcache (10 MB).
      Logged back in. No change. icon-cache.kcache is still 10 MB.
      Deleted it again. Rebooted. Same.

Oh well. At least I have it in the Dock, which is visible

[EDIT] About it being in the theme...
      Code:
      ~$ locate kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/16/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/22/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/32/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/64/kate.svg
      /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/kate.svgz
      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jan 26, 2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Code:
        $ find /usr/share/icons/ -iname "kate.svg" -ls
         530269  36 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root  34278 Jan 27 09:25 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22/kate.svg
         530272  40 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root  37007 Jan 27 09:26 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/kate.svg
         530271  36 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root  35821 Jan 27 09:23 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/kate.svg
         530267  32 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root  32044 Jan 27 09:14 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kate.svg
         530270   8 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root   7143 Jan 27 09:17 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/kate.svg
         663805   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     32 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/32/kate.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/32/kate.svg
         663786   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     32 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/22/kate.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/22/kate.svg
         663770   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     32 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/16/kate.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/16/kate.svg
         664154   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     32 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/64/kate.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/64/kate.svg
         663937   0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     32 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/kate.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/48/kate.svg
        $
        So, I changed the colors of all the kate.svg files. But the "white" icons in the launcher persisted.

Then, just in case kwrite and kate shared the same icons, I did the same thing for the kwrite.svg files:
        Code:
        $ find /usr/share/icons/ -iname "kwrite.svg" -ls
         530280   56 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root   54107 Jan 27 14:21 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/kwrite.svg
         530279   68 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root   69602 Jan 27 14:20 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22/kwrite.svg
         530278  100 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root  100811 Jan 27 14:19 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/kwrite.svg
         530283   40 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root   37831 Jan 27 14:34 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kwrite.svg
         530281    8 -rw-r--r--  1 root  root    7197 Jan 27 14:22 /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/kwrite.svg
         663806    0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      34 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/32/kwrite.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/32/kwrite.svg
         663790    0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      34 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/22/kwrite.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/22/kwrite.svg
         663772    0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      34 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/16/kwrite.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/16/kwrite.svg
         664155    0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      34 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/64/kwrite.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/64/kwrite.svg
         664019    0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      34 Jan 23 15:54 /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/kwrite.svg -> ../../../breeze/apps/48/kwrite.svg
        $
        The kate icons are still "white".

I deleted ~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache, rebooted, changed icon themes several times, etc. All other icons reflected the changes in icon theme.

In the interest of "serenity now", I'll stop wondering where those kate icons come from and give up!
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Success!

Name:	20200127182632.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	644556

So now I have the same icon everywhere!

Apparently, the "white" icons for Kate in the launcher are from /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/application-x-zerosize.svg!!!!! So I just stuffed the code for the new icon into /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/application-x-zerosize.svg and changed the dimensions from 252x252 to 32x32.

There's a chance that some other application may also use this /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/application-x-zerosize.svg but I haven't found such a case.

I'm quite aware I'll have to fix things each time Breeze updates its icons but that's a simple sudo cp away.
          Last edited by chimak111; Jan 27, 2020, 07:25 AM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Good job.
            Still, this is... almost, but not quite, entirely unlike... acceptable, really, from a Plasma-customising point of view, is it.
            I mean, if I edit an application's settings, and change the icon to my liking, am I to be expected to use esoteric incantations to modify root-owned svgs in obscure places just to get the icon show properly in the applications list?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              Good job.
              Still, this is... almost, but not quite, entirely unlike... acceptable, really, from a Plasma-customising point of view, is it.
              I mean, if I edit an application's settings, and change the icon to my liking, am I to be expected to use esoteric incantations to modify root-owned svgs in obscure places just to get the icon show properly in the applications list?
              I totally agree! And see the flak the poor chap got for daring to introduce the new icon over at r/kde!
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I notice the desktop file for kate doesn't have an Icon entry. Might adding one change the behavior and be more specific than change a system icon?

Oops - I guess I missed it on my first scan. I wonder if one could install the new icon and direct the file to the full path if it would behave differently.

Please Read Me

Comment

I found a few more icons than y'all
                  Code:
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/16/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/64/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/16/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/22/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/32/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/64/kate.svg
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/kate.png
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kate.png
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/kate.png
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/kate.png
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/kate.png
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/kate.png
                  /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/kate.svgz
                  /var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-focal-universe/128x128/kate_kate.png
                  /var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-focal-universe/48x48/kate_kate.png
                  /var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-focal-universe/64x64/kate_kate.png

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                    I totally agree! And see the flak the poor chap got for daring to introduce the new icon over at r/kde!
                    Reddit is little more than a nest of vipers :·/

Comment

Curious results here using Kubuntu 20.04. I:

Downloaded the new kate.svg
                      Using Inkscape, made scaled svg and png copies of the icon to the various sizes matching the file list in my previous post.
                      Copied each of the files to replace the existing files.

Immediately, the menu Icons changed to the new one;

Name:	Screenshot_20200127_182607.png
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	644558
                      so I suspect the PNG icons are what why you were not seeing the change in the menu. But here, the program icon remains the previous one.

So I edited the menu icon using kmenuedit (it was still the old one), no change to the application icon. Deleting the icon cache and rebuilding the system icon cache didn't help either. Seems I'm getting opposite results from you.

EDIT: I rebooted and now the app shows the new icon.

Please Read Me

Comment

Reddit is little more than a nest of vipers :·/
                        You are being too polite.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          Using Inkscape, made scaled svg and png copies of the icon to the various sizes matching the file list in my previous post.
                          This step is a little vague. The downloaded kate.svg image is a couple thousand pixels tall and wide. The kate.svg in the icon file are all 16X16. So, what did you do to each file to to resize it to 16, 22, 32, 48 and 64, and to distinguish it from the other sizes?
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, SVGs are Scalable Vector Graphics, so they scale themselves.
                            If you open the Kate icon with... Kate :·) you'll see it's just a text (XML) file.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, SVGs are Scalable Vector Graphics, ...
                              If you open the Kate icon with... Kate :·) you'll see it's just a text (XML) file.
                              +1 and you can easily resize svg icons by changing width & height by editing the svg file in a text editor.
                              Last edited by chimak111; Jan 28, 2020, 12:35 AM.
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X