X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all in for this

https://phabricator.kde.org/source/kuserfeedback/
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/...-feedback-tool

If a project has no way to tell what people are using, or how many are using a thing, they can't really cater to the user base.

Those who hate data collection can not take part....but gripe less obnoxiously when something does not go their way

I almost have it

Click image for larger version

Name:	uf.png
Views:	1
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	644541

Comment

I suspect that the data the KDE Plasma 5 desktop begins to collect after February will just focus on desktop use and not on pilliging your desktop for person info, like login names and passwords, SS#, CC#, where you go, where you shop, how you vote, if you own guns, etc....

However, the abuses by our own government targeting our own citizenry for any and all information they can take, all in the name of safety, has made everyone suspicious of any data collection, no matter how benign. There are so many back doors at the hardware level, the ISP level, the cloud level (Skype, PVNs, Clouds, even P2P), on our telephone entry/exit points of our country, etc. Even our doctors have been instructed to ask socially and politically intrusive questions during health exams, even though such questions have nothing to do with our health.

Digital surveillance has gotten so deep, intrusive and thorough that I believe it is impossible to avoid it, even if one stops using digital devices and credit cards. So, I don't care anymore.

I use a firewall only to prevent amature attacks on my system by script kiddies. I have no illusions about being able to stop something like Heartbleed, "Legal Intercept", Exodus, StudNet, etc...

So, KDE, have it. Everything else does.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I suspect that if they wanted to pillage they wouldn't bother to ask.
        And the code being open and public wouldn't make it that easy anyway...

Comment

This 'option' isn't in 20.04; just looked.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also... it's not really something new, is it?
            The installers have been asking me whether I'd like to submit anonymous usage statistics for a while.
            And every time something crashes, you get the option to report it, right? Well, almost every time...
            I usually don't bother because
            - It takes quite a bit of time and resources
            - It's not likely that anyone actually bothers to analyse those.

We'll have to see what this "feedback" actually does - or purport to do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              This 'option' isn't in 20.04; just looked.
              Well, it almost is in Neon Testing

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                I suspect that the data the KDE Plasma 5 desktop begins to collect after February will just focus on desktop use and not on pilliging your desktop for person info, like login names and passwords, SS#, CC#, where you go, where you shop, how you vote, if you own guns, etc...

However, the abuses by our own government targeting our own citizenry for any and all information they can take, all in the name of safety, has made everyone suspicious of any data collection, no matter how benign. There are so many back doors at the hardware level, the ISP level, the cloud level (Skype, PVNs, Clouds, even P2P), on our telephone entry/exit points of our country, etc. Even our doctors have been instructed to ask socially and politically intrusive questions during health exams, even though such questions have nothing to do with our health.

Digital surveillance has gotten so deep, intrusive and thorough that I believe it is impossible to avoid it, even if one stops using digital devices and credit cards. So, I don't care anymore.

I use a firewall only to prevent amature attacks on my system by script kiddies. I have no illusions about being able to stop something like Heartbleed, "Legal Intercept", Exodus, StudNet, etc...

So, KDE, have it. Everything else does.
                Actually, while having someone's personal information is really important to some of the nefarious as well as the businessman, having metadata about you is at least as good. And that's how "they" will deal with our privacy concerns. I'm not at all concerned about what Canonical or KDE wants to collect about my system. It's all metadata anyway
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                X