This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Evil List - tech companies doing most harm

Which tech companies are really doing the most harm? Here are the 30 most dangerous, ranked by the people who know.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/01/evil-list-tech-companies-dangerous-amazon-facebook-google-palantir.html

I take comfort in the fact that Linux isn't mentioned anywhere in this article.

Mick
    "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Every one of those companies are in business for one purpose - money, and preferably profit. There are no pure philanthropists in the Forbes Top 100, but there are some folks who do give from their wallets as well as their hearts - and some just for the tax break. But that's O.K., too.

Monetizing customers has always been in every for-profit company's business plan since there was such a thing.

I'm not excusing them, the fact is the young punk and old fart billionaires alike don't care if you are concerned about your privacy - there's is covered. And in reality, the only thing that can stop these companies is legislation. And guess who has the legislators by the ****s. So duck and cover as best you can, and keep an eye on your bank and credit accounts, everything else is a Google away.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Slate's skirts aren't clean. It is owned by the Graham Holding Company, which is majority owned and chaired by Donald Edward Graham. He was the lead independent director of Facebook's board of directors from 2009 to 2015. So, he had his chances to control Zukerberg's dictatorial tendencies. And, they are somewhat hypocritical in their accusations of misdeeds, considering their own behavior.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        ... And in reality, the only thing that can stop these companies is legislation. And guess who has the legislators by the ****s. So duck and cover as best you can, and keep an eye on your bank and credit accounts, everything else is a Google away.
        My VPN gets a lot of work.

Contrast the for-profit giants on that list with FOSS developers who do it for free and give it away. Twenty years ago, Microsoft said that Linux was a cancer and did everything it could to kill it. Fortunately, there are times when good beats evil.

Mick
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

A follow-up article: https://slate.com/technology/2020/01...h-company.html

Since 1989 and the Exxon Valdez oil spill, I haven't bought so much as a cup of coffee from this company.
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
          X