This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody Corsair - avoid

So I just put together a new PC based on the latest Ryzen 7 CPU and AMD 570 chipset with PCIe4.

To make the most of this I wanted a PCIe4 NVMe SSD, and so bought an MP600 from Corsair.

The problem is that it won't TRIM under Linux, and Corsair do not provide any way of updating the firmware under Linux. Their utility is windows-only.

Since I don't dual-boot, I'm stuck with sub-optimal performance of an expensive SSD.

I realise I should have checked for Linux support first, but I got complacent because it's been such a long time since I had hardware issues under Linux, and I assumed something as fundamental as a storage device would be supported and "just work".

Other SSD manufacturers provide some way of updating firmware under Linux, via a bootable ISO or whatever, but not Corsair.

Lesson learned...

So I spun up Google and looked for confirmatory or conflicting results. Phoronix ran their benchmarks within Ubuntu 18.04 with a 5.2 kernel. They ran on a 2TB version of the drive. Another reviewer found that the 1TB version was fairly bland and was actually faster on the PCIe 3.0 version, but he was using Windows and a completely different test.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ce-mp600&num=1

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...an-3-0.257572/

I'm not sure what you mean by "Linux support". There may be other factors at work within your system. Also, are you saying that the motherboard doesn't have a method to update the firmware?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      I'm not sure what you mean by "Linux support". There may be other factors at work within your system. Also, are you saying that the motherboard doesn't have a method to update the firmware?
      Hi

The problem is there is no way of updating the firmware on the SSD itself. Corsair have issued several firmware updates for this model since I bought it, but the only way to carry out the update is by using a windows-only utility.

The SSD throws io errors when I try to TRIM it. A firmware update to the SSD may or may not fix that problem.

It works, apart from the inability to TRIM, and I can (and have) updated my motherboard bios to the latest revision.

Other SSD manufacturers like Intel and Crucial do provide ways for people running linux to perform SSD firmware updates, but not Corsair.

Comment

Working...
      X