This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave browswer, first impressions.

I've been trying Brave for a few days. What I think so far.

On the plus side:
    - It's fast and sleek.
    - It has built-in TOR for "secure" browsing. I haven't got much use for it, but some people may like it.
    - The ad/track-blocking seems quite clever.
    - It has "https everywhere". Which doesn't really work too well, but at least it tries.
    - It uses Chrome extensions (which could be on the down side, but debatable).

On the down side:
    It still needs a lot of work.
    - It looks like it "loses" stuff. Cookies, saved logins, preferences, sometimes seem to disappear or reset to defaults.
    - It's about as customisable as my grandmother's mantelpiece.

Case in point: the New Tab Page. You can't do anything with it.
    You look it up, the replies are: Sorry, nothing to be done for now, but you can use extensions.
    Now, I personally find it quite annoying - especially the "top sites" part. Limited to six, uses favicons for the sites, blows them up to the ugliest resolution. Like, yuck.
    But even the "mandatory" images, come on. They may look good - or not. Irrelevant. I choose my images/looks, you don't.
    This is like Microsoft philosophy, multiplied by Apple, divided by Unity, with a tinge of the Spanish Inquisition, a dash of Daesh and a pinch of the IPCC on top.
    Or maybe the coders are so happy with their Chromium optimisations, they just forgot it's meant to be used by actual people...

So I look at extensions. There's basically two.
    One (most recommended), it wants permissions to measure the length of your pinkie finger against all of your neighbours'. To start with, 'cause it's a long list.
    I try it anyway - I can always remove it (which I did right away). It starts by asking "what's you name". Then goes on to ask you for your email address and password.
    It then proceeds to make your NTP look so annoying it would take a lot of effort to make it worse - and that's all it does.

So I try the second. It asks for permissions to "change your New Tab Page". Period. Well, that's more reasonable.
    It actually lets you choose an image of you choice for it (after a bit of digging) but
    - You can't do anything with it - like add Top Sites.
    - It sticks a huge clock in the middle of it which you can't get rid of, unless you edit the java class files. Which I did, after which I ditched that one too.

So, in the end... I'm back on Firefox and happily losing half a second at app startup.
    Because I'll hazard a guess: by the time they've added the necessary code to make it useable, it may not even be all that fast and sleek anymore.
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 23, 2019, 10:21 AM.

I tried Brave a couple of years ago and didn't like it much. I don't care for most of the browsers based on Chromium, in fact. At the moment, I'm using Firefox, Falkon, Waterfox and Pale Moon. My Firefox refuses to go to the latest webpage of A local newspaper, although it does it on everything except Bionic Beaver. Falkon lacks certain features, such as tabs (or are they hidden somewhere?). Pale Moon is nice, but lately its ad-blocker is only partially effective. Waterfox is nice (I'm using an Appimage) and so far hasn't given me any trouble. All of them are less resource-hungry than Chrome. I can't say much about add-ons as I don't have many.

Comment

Same experience here, I switched back to Firefox and chrome because not all of my extensions are working in Brave.
      Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
      linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
      A good place to start:
      Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        Falkon lacks certain features, such as tabs (or are they hidden somewhere?).
        With Falkon version 3.0.0 (the version in Kubuntu 18.04), Control+T opens a new tab. Control+W closes the current tab.

And if you click on ☰, Preferences, you'll see an entry for Tabs in the left pane.
        Last edited by chimak111; Jul 26, 2019, 07:29 AM.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I meant that Falkon doesn't seem to open multiple tabs. Or at least I can't find it. On the plus side, Falkon seems faster than most.

Comment

Working...
          X