This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Lattitude D820 and Kubuntu ?

I'm trying to make use of this older laptop and wonder which version of Kubuntu would work on this old Dell laptop.
    I tried 18.04 (because I have the disk) and it said the kernel is wrong for this machine?
    Help?
    Greg
    W9WD

Greg, I have a Dell D820 and it did run Kubuntu 18.04, but now runs Linux Mint. It is a 32 bit system...
    I don't recall which kernel was being used with Kubuntu but I suspect it was 4.15 at that time.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The version won't matter, as long as it is 18.04 or newer - Plasma is so much lighter after that.

You need to grab the 32 bit iso, methinks. I had one in this line, but it has been a while.
      Actually, for installing, 18.04 is the only way to go, as this is the last 32 bit installer. You can upgrade to later releases, there are just no more 32 bit installers. The 32 bit packages are still there, however.

just do a Minimal install so you have the leanest system to start, and add what you need later, aster you see how it runs.

Comment

It should be at a 4.18 kernel now.

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
          I'm trying to make use of this older laptop and wonder which version of Kubuntu would work on this old Dell laptop.
          I tried 18.04 (because I have the disk) and it said the kernel is wrong for this machine?
          Help?
          Greg, did you grab the 32bit download? Or the 64bit download? https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I did the 64 bit because that's what my other computers are. Will try the 32
            Thanks
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Downloaded and burned 18.04 32 bit and tried to boot.
              It took many tries to get the CD?DVD player to recognize the WIN XP install disk and it won't recognize the Kubuntu disk.
              I think this computer is history.
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Sometimes those CD/DVD drives do die. You could try installing from a USB thumb drive.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

My fault.
                  Did not burn the DVD correctly. It's booting now.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Boy Windows sucks compared to Kubuntu.
                    All is well...
                    Greg
                    W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      Boy Windows sucks compared to Kubuntu.
                      All is well...
                      Those two statements contradict each other, if you had to install and run Windows

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                        Greg, I have a Dell D820 and it did run Kubuntu 18.04, but now runs Linux Mint. It is a 32 bit system...
                        I don't recall which kernel was being used with Kubuntu but I suspect it was 4.15 at that time.
                        Glad to find someone that has one.
                        Is wireless turned on by holding the FN (function) switch and pressing F2?

Thanks
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

Greg, I've never used Fn-F2 with wireless, but there is a slide switch on the left side with disables/enables the internal wireless card. I use an external card in the PCI slot for wireless access.
                          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

While I was looking around I did find a slider on the left side that felt like it was spring loaded.
                            Didn't "click" or anything so I didn't think that was it.
                            I'll have to have another look.
                            Thanks
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

My slider switch has two positions (1/0) and is not spring loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X