This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expired GPG Key for Google Chrome et al

Is anyone else having an issue getting Google Earth to update? apt is telling me:

Code:
    Err:8 http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable Release.gpg                                    
      The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551 Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) <linux-packages-keymaster@google.com>
    apt-key list shows:
    Code:
    /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
    --------------------
    pub   dsa1024 2007-03-08 [SC]
          4CCA 1EAF 950C EE4A B839  76DC A040 830F 7FAC 5991
    uid           [ unknown] Google, Inc. Linux Package Signing Key <linux-packages-keymaster@google.com>
    sub   elg2048 2007-03-08 [E]

pub   rsa4096 2016-04-12 [SC]
          EB4C 1BFD 4F04 2F6D DDCC  EC91 7721 F63B D38B 4796
    uid           [ unknown] Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) <linux-packages-keymaster@google.com>
    sub   rsa4096 2017-01-24 [S] [expires: 2020-01-24]
    This issue has already been reported/complained about to Google as indicated on Google Chrome Help:

https://support.google.com/chrome/th...0?hl=en&pli=1#

Craig (Google Employee and Community Manager) says that this has been fixed, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Given that apt-key list is showing two keys for Google, with the first one not showing an expiry date (is that the one that is expired?) and the second one with a future expiry date, is this the problem? Is apt only seeing the first key? Did Google not actually resign the key, but create a new one?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I got the error earlier today, on my kubuntu box. When installed updates on my neon box just now, I had no error, and re-checking my Kubuntu machine no longer shows it, so I assume it got fixed. I only see one key on both of them.

It probably took a bit of time for the key info to propagate and update to all the keyservers out there.

Comment

Well that's interesting. I just 'now' re-ran apt update and apt full-upgrade, and the error is still being reported. Running 18.10. apt-key list still shows two keys for Google. What key do you have?

Added:

Google, Inc. does have two Keys. See: https://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/

The fingerprints for both are what apt-key list shows, yet one (Key ID is expired? So, again, what key do you have?
      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 12, 2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

i had the problem with Discover popping up a warning about the time of this post, https://askubuntu.com/questions/1133...97bc53640db551. It's fixed now. I don't know about Google Earth but I would assume it's another Google problem they have yet to fix.

Comment

I have only Google Chrome. No Google Earth.

I see:
          Code:
          7721F63BD38B4796 2016-04-12
          Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) <linux-packages-keymaster@google.com>
          And no longer see any message about expired keys.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Solved

From a reply on Google Earth Help:
            The Earth team admits they don't understand the Linux update system real well.
            Whaaaa!

Further on, a reply:
            It's fixed but you need to manually fix it on your end also. If you use Linux Mint follow the instructions above. If you use another Debian or Ubuntu based distro do this:

sudo rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*

sudo apt update
            I don't like forcing a process (-f) unless it's absolutely the only option left. One doesn't need to use it this case. I just used:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*

It complains about the two sub-directories, but that isn't a problem.

Then:

sudo apt update

After that:

sudo apt full-upgrade. The error is no longer being reported.

Comment

Working...
            X