This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article - The Linux Foundation is Not About Linux

I'm putting this under the "water cooler" forum because it is about politics in our larger community and deserves discussion among ourselves, not related to any particular Linux flavor.

It is also likely to set off alarms and generate heated arguments... Opinions do that... Wear hip-waders and carry an umbrella.

Read and make up your own mind. I'm sorry that Linus Torvalds is stuck in the middle here. He deserves better support than LF is now offering. We, as Linux users, deserve better support.

http://techrights.org/2019/03/26/the...t-about-linux/

I've stated my opinions about some newer members of the LF (Redmond...) and what that portends for GNU/Linux.

How do you feel about this?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 27, 2019, 10:24 AM. Reason: Correct spelling in Title
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

I usually dismiss this website as the source/author has been a long-time doom-and-gloom Microsoft conspiracy theorist and FUD master.

Comment

I also AM a doom and gloom Microsoft Conspiracy theorist, I'm sure you have noticed. The FUD is optional, depending on the subject matter and the mindset of the reader.

With respect to the Linux Foundation, the author makes a point about how it has strayed from its origins. He also points at a likely money trail surrounding the current actions of the LF. To me, these are warning signs and I would like to hear of other Linux organizations which still act more in the spirit of the Linux/Linus of earlier times. I'm old...

Sad to say, this is politics and business.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I used to be one, 12 maybe 15 years ago.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah! Back when you were old too then. Maybe it's a proximity factor, I'm closer to Redmond, the radiation damage may be worse... The Voices are getting louder, let me add more tinfoil to my hat and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I usually dismiss this website as the source/author has been a long-time doom-and-gloom Microsoft conspiracy theorist and FUD master.
            "Thank you Very Much". As Elvis would say. "FUD master" LOL.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Yawn ...
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I reserve the following:
                "I told you so."
                "The fox has entered the hen house".
                "The boy who cried 'wolf' is ignored, until the wolf acts".
                "The slowly boiling frog is soup".

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  Yawn ...
                  I am still waiting.....and waiting.....Bueller......
                  Ya, it would be more believable with independent sources other than one guy who more or less more sources himself copiously over the years, is all.

The canary is still breathing, and why doesn't that boy have at least a sheepdog?

Comment

Yes, I am stirring the pot with this. FYI

What Happened to the Linux Foundation?

http://techrights.org/2019/03/30/what-happened-lf/

Be informed, even if you disagree with the position of the author, or me.

Comment

Well I WILL say "I told ya so!"

Several years ago when Microshaft joined LF I went on a "rant" and, as usual had a picture of "the All Seeing Eye of Sauron" and equated it to Microshaft and said that NO GOOD would come of Microshaft getting it's hooks into LF.

A moderator basically said: "Get your head out of the past and move on, MS is now going to play nice."

and a day or so later the thread I started was deleted.

Now not only is Microshaft involved but Google and the Great Zuch have their fingers in the pie.

FB ALREADY WANTS TO GEO RESTRICT several functions.

Zuch said that in A YEAR...there will be a "continerized" version of FB that will be for "close family and friends"...

In other words FB is going to be GEO RESTRICTED within the year...

The question that i raised before was, what will happen when "the United States border " gets GeoRestricted for music stream..

And again, the DERISIVE replies were, "there will be some way to download the music, there always is so go suck your thumb woodsmoke."

Well, TOLD YA SO!! Youtube is GeoRestricted NOW... there is stuff that can be seen in Europe that cannot be seen in the U.S without going through multiple hoops and that is iffy most of the time.

the PATRIOT ACT...clearly states that "if an entity attempts to interfere with the business of a "U.S. entity" that the entity can be labled a terrorist organization or hostile foreign actor.

And just WHAT is happening now? Both Trump AND the Dems are playing good cop / bad cop over China and Russia "interference"... China has develped "Red Dragon" Linux and it's own FB etc. etc.

the GREAT ZUCH SAID THIS WEEK that he WANTS to have the Government "regulate" FACEBOOK!! :0

What happens when the Great Zuch, Alphabet and Microshaft decide to MOVE CHESS PIECES...

to GEORESTRICT the download of Kubuntu .isos from "foreign actors" that provide Kubuntu .isos?

The colleges have already shown that they will cave to any and all "SHAMING" by any actor... so they can easily be "penalized" for hosting Kubuntu .isos in the U.S. and they will stop so fast it will make peoples heads spin! :0

Are we then going to snail mail them?

There is NO GOOD to come of Microshaft, Alphabet or Zuch or any other company being involved with LF, but...the deed is already done...it is all over but the crying.

And THAT is why I have no less than three desktop machines with Kubuntu, Neon, and Kali installed and a laptop with the very last #! before it went Debian. lol

woodgrrrrsmoke
                      Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 07, 2019, 03:43 AM.

Comment

@woodsmoke; Where would we be without politics and drama? The frog is still sitting on the bottom of the slowly heating soup pot. You'll know when it is done because it will float belly up. Got backup frogs available?

Joking aside, ‘Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.’ (George Santayana-1905) later paraphrased by Winston Churchill

Let us hope that we are able to transmogrify this scenario such that M$ is the frog and not we Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post

Joking aside, ‘Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.’ (George Santayana-1905) later paraphrased by Winston Churchill
                          This is all fine and good, providing that people aren't actively trying to re-write history. So it's really hard to determine that the history that one is trying to remember is actually the history that happened (while to a degree there is always that (spoils of war and all that, part of that is how it goes down in the history books is typically written from the victor's POV)).
                          Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

TWPK

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by WWDERW View Post
                              This is all fine and good, providing that people aren't actively trying to re-write history. So it's really hard to determine that the history that one is trying to remember is actually the history that happened (while to a degree there is always that (spoils of war and all that, part of that is how it goes down in the history books is typically written from the victor's POV)).
                              [Gasp! Shock!] You mean somebody is actually trying to influence what our children are taught about history? Do note the sarcasm here...

I think it a given that reported/recorded history may not be what actually happened. I'm old enough to have some personal recollection of events in my lifetime, albeit filtered through the various news media over those years. Some of it may actually be true.

BUT (very big "but"), our younger members of society have nothing of personal experience and some of them are products of our "higher" education system. I was a product of that system, although many decades ago. I was also part of that education system (sciences) in my adult life. The bias and attempt to force an interpretation on historical records IS REAL. Not so much in the hard sciences (physics, chemistry, math) but certainly in the social and psychological fields. I recall discussions with fellow instructors who were offended when I took exception to their views of current events. The students were defenseless against this kind of indoctrination...

It's no wonder we have social unrest around the world.

[speculation]
                              Expect the next decade to report that Microsoft created Linux and championed its acceptance into the computing world... Minor players will be phased out of history books...

Book burning at 2pm, mandatory attendance... Replacement texts will be distributed to everyone.
                              [end speculation]
                              I'm only half facetious here because this is how history gets re-written.

[edit] shortly after posting this, I found this article:
                              Bokhari: Amazon Is on a Digital Book Burning Spree

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/...urning-spree/#
                              Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 08, 2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X